PDA

View Full Version : Party 5+1: AJo in MP

SlantNGo
08-07-2004, 09:01 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (8 handed)

Hero (t705)
MP2 (t2187)
CO (t590)
Button (t558)
SB (t1620)
BB (t630)
UTG (t530)
UTG+1 (t1180)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls t50, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls t50, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button calls t50, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t250) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets t150</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises to t508 (All-In)</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, Hero calls t358.

Turn: (t1266) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t1266) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t1266

First question, is AJo worth playing here? If so, should I be raising to try to knock out others?

On the flop, I slightly underbet the pot thinking I'm strong. Should I be calling the all-in?

Doctor Teller
08-07-2004, 11:34 PM
Given your stack, I would have raised to about 150 to knock out non-premium buster hands from the big stacks like 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

That said, I would have tiptoed on the flop. Since 5 people limped in, a variety of hands could have TPTK beat.

The fact that the button went all in on you should make your decision a little easier, because the button is more likely to represent a good hand (and furthermore, a hand you've got beat).

Think about it: The small stack is on the button (a premium position) and he limps in. How is he gonna have you beat on the flop?

The hands that have TPTK beat are not the kinds you limp in with, unless you're a strong player that underrepresents jacks pre-flop. The short stack probably didnt limp with jacks, you gotta hope, and he probably didnt limp with KJ or J-rag, nor the rag-rag that would have made 2 pair, nor the rag pair in the hole to make a set. With his stack, those are raising hands or folding hands.

The fact he limped in tells me immediately after his all-in move what he (probably) had: a Jack with a weaker kicker, or an AJ to match yours. My guess is QJ or JT, but I'm thinking QJ because you wouldn't make a post like this if you won (he drew out on you, didn't he? /images/graemlins/blush.gif )

Had either of the blinds made a move on you, that's a different story. The opposing hand could just as easily be a 56o or a J5o.

kyro
08-08-2004, 12:20 AM
first guy is right. if you're going to limp in like that, you need to be looking for something than tptk. if you raise, and someone calls, you know you're probably not up against two pair, the set is all you're afraid of. but with many limpers, i've seen people play J5, J6 and 56.

patrick dicaprio
08-08-2004, 10:54 AM
with 25/50 blinds and your stack you probably should come in for a raise and hope to take the pot. if i am not willing to raise here then i would probably fold.

given that you called you got perhaps the best flop for your hand other than an AJ flop. we have no info on your opponent, but usually i am loathe to call all in raises with TPTK, especially after i bet the flop. but since the button is short stacked also he could be semibluffing a straight draw or a small pair hoping you missed the flop so I would call here. if i were him and had QQ-AA i wouldnt raise all in but would check call on the flop hoping you will bet all in on the turn.

Pat

SlantNGo
08-09-2004, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the comments guys. I do agree that I should have come in for a raise PF... limping could have done more damage than raising &amp; missing the flop. Luckily he had QJ, but he drew out on me /images/graemlins/frown.gif