PDA

View Full Version : Help with hand -- midway through Party World Speed Poker Satellite

PokerNeal
08-07-2004, 07:58 PM
Ok. I made it through the first break. The blinds are 25/50. and my stack size is about 1500. If I remember correctly the average at this time was 1900. Right after the break players don't resume seats and so there is a couple of timeout folds and one bet (50) from the early position. I am in the BB with K-K. The SB (whose stack is 3000) raises by 50 making it 100 for me to call. I put him on A-K or A-Q or a high pair. I raise to 500. The early position guy folds and the SB goes all-in! The guy in the early position quickly folds. It's me and the SB head-on.

I let the clock run and contemplate. On one hand I am excited about the prospect of doubling my stack. Also I just dwindled my stack by betting 500. The ugly scenario, of course, is if he has pocket rockets or his A-X gets a matching Ace on the board. If not I have broken through to 50% more than average in terms of stack size.

What would you do if in my position? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

P.S. Apologies if I am not using the right Poker nomenclature. New to this game.

fnord_too
08-07-2004, 08:15 PM
I call. I have a real hard time ever laying down KK pre flop, and I would need a strong read on the guy to do it.

PokerNeal
08-07-2004, 08:17 PM
He is been playing well. Making good bets. I put him on as a good player.

WarDekar
08-07-2004, 09:22 PM
I would put him on a pocket pair, probably JJ or QQ, possibly something like AK, AQ. I don't think he'd have AA, and if he does that's just shitty luck move on your way. I go all-in. As long as he doesn't have AA you have the clear advantage in the hand, and if he has JJ or QQ he's drawing to 2 outs essentially.

Nick B.
08-07-2004, 09:25 PM
You don't need to always push preflop with KK. Sometimes it would be better to trap a pfr especially one you have position on. You could call the 100 and see if the flop doesn't contain an ace (which most of the time it won't) and hope he makes another bet trying to buy the pot. Always pushing preflop with KK is playing a little scared. Do you really want him to fold the AQ or AK that you put him on?

The way you played it and having him push, I would definitely call.

PokerNeal
08-08-2004, 03:32 PM
Thank you all for your comments. Here is what really happened.

When he went all in I figured the chances that he would have an Ace-Ace on the SB were slim. I mean, mentally I could not picture the BB being dealt K-K and the SB being dealt A-A. He may have an AK or A-X in his hand but I am still a favorite to win the hand. Here was a sweet opportunity to double-up and I too went all-in.

He flipped over A-A! Rotten luck, I was out of the satellite.