PDA

View Full Version : tpgk on a flush board - flop play

detruncate
08-07-2004, 06:03 PM
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

I just sat down, so no reads.

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP2 checks, Hero ???

Do we check this through in favour of the turn if a non-scary falls, or do we bet to avoid giving a free card and perhaps get a little information about where we stand?

zuluking
08-07-2004, 06:33 PM
Read or no read, you bet.

detruncate
08-07-2004, 08:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Read or no read, you bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reads weren't a big issue. Just included the disclaimer to avoid having to say it later. I'd have bet without hesitation and never thought twice about it until a week ago. With all the conversation going on about the importance of protecting your hand, I thought this flop might generate some opinions. Is it just too obvious to bother with?

Haupt_234
08-07-2004, 08:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The reads weren't a big issue. Just included the disclaimer to avoid having to say it later. I'd have bet without hesitation and never thought twice about it until a week ago. With all the conversation going on about the importance of protecting your hand, I thought this flop might generate some opinions. Is it just too obvious to bother with?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure why all of you guys insist on, after reading SSH, giving your opponent a free card in order to "protect you hand". This would be a very costly error. Bet the flop here 100% of the time. The odds are slim that your opponent flopped a flush, so don't let him draw to one for free.

Haupt_234

detruncate
08-08-2004, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I am not sure why all of you guys insist on, after reading SSH, giving your opponent a free card in order to "protect you hand".

[/ QUOTE ]

I certainly don't insist on it. I was just wondering if there were situations in which it makes sense to do so... and if this might have been one of them. Thanks for your input.

Haupt_234
08-08-2004, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I certainly don't insist on it. I was just wondering if there were situations in which it makes sense to do so... and if this might have been one of them. Thanks for your input.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just generalizing a lot of posts I have seen lately, that's all.

The situation to protect your hand would take place if, say, the opponent in first position bet out and 2 called in front of you. It would be better to wait until the turn to raise, since the callers will obviously call your flop raise.

Haupt_234

detruncate
08-08-2004, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The situation to protect your hand would take place if, say, the opponent in first position bet out and 2 called in front of you. It would be better to wait until the turn to raise, since the callers will obviously call your flop raise.

Haupt_234

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. Thanks again. It wasn't the concept of hand protection in the sort of example you gave that was the root of my post, but I do appreciate your effort to explain things.

After I played this hand I started thinking about whether giving a free card might actually be a good idea sometimes, which contradicted a lot of what I've taken for granted to this point. Seemed like a good time to re-evaluate the 'obvious', but I probably just made too much of a random neural misfire. Enough said.

bisonbison
08-09-2004, 12:28 AM
You cannot protect a hand by giving a free card. BET.

Chris Daddy Cool
08-09-2004, 12:32 AM
I've been seeing a crapload of these posts lately where people don't bet or raise the flop with made hands in order to "protect their hands" yet others massively overplay overcards in order to "protect their overcards." It really doesn't make any sense. I haven't gotten to that section yet in SSH, but I am almost certain that most of you posting these hands are totally misapplying this concept.

Bet the damn flop.

cartoonsoldier
08-09-2004, 12:42 AM
I also haven't reached that section, but I would definitely bet this flop.

Gomez22
08-09-2004, 01:55 AM
Let's see.... you have TPGK, position against 3 players on a monotone flop. Even though no one is going to lay down for 1 bet on the flush draw here, do you really wanna give them a free card to beat your hand???

Chances are that at least 1 spade is out against you....

I bet this everyday in this position... you have no way to protect your hand in this case, as the pot is going to be laying odds to anyone to chase a flush, even on the turn.

Play to make the most... not lose the least.

Odder
08-09-2004, 02:24 AM
I always bet this situation.

detruncate
08-09-2004, 03:05 AM
This exploded all of a sudden. I'm almost sorry I posted it. Thanks to all who took the time to respond. I'll do my best to repress the memory of the time I spent wondering if I should have checked.