PDA

View Full Version : A cure for paralysis

wacki
08-07-2004, 05:56 PM
We have a cure for Paralysis. The down side, it requires stem cells, and there is only one place we can get human stem cells. It's the human blastocyst (different than a fetus/embryo). Stem cells can be retrieved for the first few hours after the sperm joins with the egg, but before implantation in the womb. The human blastocyst has not developed a brain or heart yet as the cells have not differentiated into any specific type of tissue. In other words, there is no muscle tissue, no nerve tissue, no skin tissue, just a few dozen unspecialized cells. The process is simple, take an egg, and some sperm, put them in a test tube, wait an hour or two, and then collect. If done via robot, a human doesn't have to come within 5 miles of this process of creating stem cells in order for it to work.

The best thing about this is that these stem cells are immortal so they can be cultured and grown and you won't have to farm blastocysts. You simply collect a sample of a strain and grow it on a petri dish. Stem cells are immortal. Once you get one, you can make an unlimited supply of that type. The down side is the immune system is very good at detecting foreign cells. So you will need to have a large variety/collection of stem cells to do research, cure diseases, and grow replacement organs/body parts.

Right now all stem cell research is illegal except with existing cell lines. My question is do you think that collecting blastocysts is a worthy cause. Remember, the egg is mixed with a sperm in a test tube. Stem cells that can be collected from abortions/umbilical cords are not as powerful as the blastocyst stem cells. They are very good, but they are not as powerful as blastocyst stem cells. Please do not turn this into an abortion debate. My question is, is it ethical to mix a sperm and an egg in a test tube in order to save any and all lives that have immune systems compatible with that cell line ( and need replacement organs/tissue) for the rest of time? Vote for the pole please.

Here is a movie of a cured rat. 30 seconds of the rat with injury, 30 seconds of the rat being able to walk after stem cell scaffolding.

A Movie of a Cured Rat (http://www.pnas.org/content/vol0/issue2002/images/data/052678899/DC1/6788Movie1.mov)

Paper (Scientific May be hard to read) (http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/99/5/3024)

Each year approximately 10,000 Americans sustain spinal cord injuries (SCI), this is a cure, and it's now. Also, in time, stem cell research will solve blood/organ donor problems.

Glenn
08-07-2004, 06:30 PM
"We have a cure for Paralysis"

No, we don't. Not one human has ever been cured of paralysis with stem cells. I'm not really against stem cell research, but the fact is that stem cells are being advertised as a cure for everything, when, in fact, it is mostly theoretical as this point.

wacki
08-07-2004, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"We have a cure for Paralysis"

No, we don't. Not one human has ever been cured of paralysis with stem cells. I'm not really against stem cell research, but the fact is that stem cells are being advertised as a cure for everything, when, in fact, it is mostly theoretical as this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Watch the movie. I've personally talked to the worlds leading experts, face to face, in the field. Yes it's technically true not one human being has been cured, but at the same time it isn't legal to try. So as long as it's not legal, it won't happen, atleast not in this country with humans. Also, everybody that I've talked to has told me that the transition from Rats to Humans should cause minimal if any difficulty. The proof can easily be seen by using the stem cell scaffolding technique on one animal to the next with little or no modification to the technique regardless of species. The cure is here. If the video doesn't prove that, I don't know what will. The reason why you are sick of hearing about stem cells, is because they are illegal and scientists so badly want access to them. This poll is to see how many of you think this method of harvesting stem cells (from test tube created blastocysts) is ethical.

natedogg
08-08-2004, 01:14 AM
The federal government is barred by executive order from funding research on this subject. Privately funded research is free to do whatever they like.

natedogg