PDA

View Full Version : Small pot. Fold this against a passive?

SomethingClever
08-07-2004, 05:32 PM
My thinking on the flop is... backdoor flush, gutshot and middle pair. Why not make everyone else fold and get this heads-up? Too aggressive against a passive player?

Reads: Uh, BB is passive.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks,

Flop: (5.50 SB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, BB calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

River: (8.75 BB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 10.75 BB, between BB and Hero.</font>

Jimbobobb
08-07-2004, 05:37 PM
If he's the type of player who will only bet what appears to be the nuts, I'd lay it down to his turn bet. At best there you are hoping to chop, and not getting the odds for it. If he's equally likely to bet top-pair in that position, I like the turn raise, but I would take the free showdown unimproved.

Vern
08-07-2004, 05:41 PM
Reading this I cannot help but think he has QJ and his passiviity is why he only calls you with his straight. However, I like the flop play, when he leads the turn I would get concerned, especially with your read. I think I call it down on the turn or raise the turn and check through the river (unless you filled up). I think checking the river is even better after the river made any J or 7 make a one card straight. (But I have been accused of being weak/tight)

HajiShirazu
08-07-2004, 08:40 PM
QT seems like a likely hand here other than the Jx. I think I call down after he bets the turn.
I don't think I like the river bet on this board against the type of guy who won't tell you if you're beat with his betting patterns.

Haupt_234
08-07-2004, 09:01 PM
Against a passive opponent, I would merely call the flop. He is in first position and bets out, so you aren't likely to be ahead. What are you trying to accomplish with your flop raise? The only thing I can figure is for a free card, which is a very risky play with 3 opponents left to act behind you. Therefore, I would just call and get some overcalls for a pot which I am drawing in.

I like the turn raise since you will probably only be 3-bet by a straight and called down with a Q or a lower 2pair.

The river looks good.

Haupt_234

Uppercut
08-07-2004, 11:24 PM
Anyone else have a problem with the PF call of T9s in EP?

Jimbobobb
08-07-2004, 11:55 PM
Depends on the texture of the table really (and I'm sure people will disagree with me) - If I'm at a table where it's regularly at least 6 to the flop and I'm the only person doing any kind of pre-flop raising, I start limping in with all kinds of suited connectors from a lot of places at low limits.

Haupt_234
08-08-2004, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else have a problem with the PF call of T9s in EP?

[/ QUOTE ]

In a loose game, T9s is fine in EP. SSH warrants the call.

Haupt_234

Nemesis
08-08-2004, 05:57 PM
if BB is as passive as you suggest, then I think folding the flop in this small pot is really a fine choice, even though he MAY be betting a good draw, is it really worth putting in 4 more BB's or so to find out?

jediael
08-08-2004, 06:03 PM
Don't fold this. You have got two pair and a a gutshot straigt draw on the turn and also 4 outs to all full house, giving you a total of 8 outs.
This and the fact that you are likely ahead already with two pair make your raise on the turn and the bet on the river perfectly correct.

Nemesis
08-08-2004, 11:03 PM
On the flop he could easily be drawing dead to JT, or already up against 2 pair or a set. If a PASSIVE player bets out in a small pot, that you have a small piece, but not a great piece of. Is it really worth sticking arround? I personally would have stayed, but i think an argument for folding on the flop isn't too out of order.