PDA

View Full Version : QQ facing a PF Re-raise

Vern
08-07-2004, 05:29 PM
Absolute NL($.25) CO buys in for $10 then plays rather tightly until he loses it then reloads with $10, or leaves sometime after he gets over $25 and will eventually come back with $10. SB is very loose and weak and will cold call a raise with any ace but I have never seen him cold call a re-raise.

UTG ($32.63)
EP(Hero) ($54.40)
MP($41.50)
CO ($11.05)
BTN ($28.64)
SB ($41.32)
BB ($22.64)

7 Handed, UTG folds, Hero has Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif and raises to $1.50, MP folds, CO re-raises to $3, BTN folds, SB calls $3, BB folds, Hero ??? (pot is $7.75 at this decision point, CO has $8.05 and SB has $38.32)

I am still new to NL, do I give respect to a re-raise followed by a cold cold by calling or do I re-raise here and how much? Thanks for all feedback and criticism of any part of the hand graciously accepted.

Vern

Vern
08-08-2004, 10:13 AM
Oh well, I had hope to get some feedback on this because although it worked out, I did not know if what I did constituted overplaying my hand. Anyway, I re-raised pre-flop to $16.50. CO and SB call my reraise and 3 to the flop for $44.30. Flop came Q/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, SB leads into me for $15, I push, he calls his remaining $9.82 and flipped over 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif. CO showed A/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif and the turn and river brought no help to either. Pre-flop was it that I did a good play or did I just play goot?

JrJordan
08-08-2004, 12:54 PM
Your description makes it seem like the shortstack is very LAG and would call another reraise of your hand with something like TT or JJ. If this is true, I suggest reraising the other $8 of the CO. Your hope is to isolate the maniac here, while getting the other cold caller to fold. If CO has AA or KK, so be it. His stack is small enough for me to take that chance.

icecreamwillie
08-08-2004, 01:10 PM
This is interesting because I was just going to post a similar hand from a live game. I don't have any advice to give since I am a beginner in no-limit.

My game is a live $100 buy-in with 2(button), 2, 3 blinds and a $4 rake. The game is only a little over a week old so we are all new players. I was UTG with QQ and about $500. I raised $20, a loose late position player (about a $100 stack) called, then the small blind re-raised to $100. He had me and the other player covered (about $600). I judged SB to be a mid-stakes limit player trying to learn no-limit. He was aggressive and tricky. My table image (from years of live games) is very tight, but at times too straightforward. I folded and late player called. My reasoning was that if I called, it would be hard to avoid losing my whole stack if no overcards came and he had the overpair. I assumed that I would be facing the same decision for a very large bet on the flop if no overcards came. The late position player also reduced my odds of winning.

Results: The late position player called all-in with KJ suited when he made a pair of Kings on the flop. The Small Blind was on a pure bluff.

It seems to me that hands like this are the main difference between limit and no-limit. I have never made this lay down in a limit game. I liked my decision at the time. I didn't think it was a bluff because the late position caller had been gambling all night with speculative hands and just re-buying when he lost another $100 buy in.

I am also curious what more experienced players here say.