PDA

View Full Version : Overcall?

Sent
08-07-2004, 02:50 PM
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (12 SB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls.

River: (12.50 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds.

Final Pot: 13.50 BB

Should I have raised the flop? The board looked pretty scary. Should I have just called the turn like the flop and then popped the river?

-Sent

SteveY
08-07-2004, 03:21 PM
I've run into this situation a few times, and I'm not sure what the best course of action is. The thing is that it's more likely they'll fold to a raise on the turn than a raise on the flop. So I usually raise on the flop. But the problem with that is that you have so much equity that you want people who are drawing dead/close to dead to call your bets, and making them call 2 cold doesn't do that. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

pointcount
08-07-2004, 03:39 PM
I would have reraised the flop.

You had high trips with a good kicker. Best case they could be holding a high pair/overcards which you beat. I cannot see why you wouldn't re-raise in that situation.

cold_cash
08-07-2004, 03:52 PM
What's scary about this board?

I think you played it okay. If you don't raise the turn and he checks on the river (like he will a lot of the time) you make one less bet than if you raise the turn and bet the river. (Assuming he doesn't fold to the turn raise.)

I'm not even sure if that makes sense.... but maybe you know what I mean.

Sent
08-07-2004, 04:20 PM
Not scary for me, scary for the other players. No real draws out there.

-Sent

cold_cash
08-07-2004, 04:26 PM
Oh okay, gotcha.

The only argument I can see for raising this flop and facing everyone behind you with calling 2 is the size of the pot.

I'm pretty sure after that flop you're going to win this hand the vast majority of the time, so slowplaying and encouraging calls isn't bad, IMO, even though the pot's getting pretty sizeable.

Jimbobobb
08-07-2004, 05:44 PM
I'd just call the flop and the turn - that 7hearts was probably the best card you could possibly see besides a Q or K; no backdoor flushes and straights almost completely unlikely. You're not in a good position to get extra bets out of those acting behind you, so I think you need to call and hope they call too. Depending upon who calls the turn action, I think you might raise on the river.

HajiShirazu
08-07-2004, 08:37 PM
I probably wait until the river here. If the pot were just a little bigger you should raise the flop, because somebody hitting a pocket pair would suck, but at this size I would go more for maximum value. Raising the turn, it's obvious what you have because everybody plays trips that way, but river raises are less common. If a broadway card hit on the turn, then you could raise it there as that wouldn't give away your hand as much and there would be more second best hands out to call you.