PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 TPTK laydown

felson
08-07-2004, 01:29 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (6 max, 6 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

Button ($108.75)
SB ($73.40)
<font color="C00000">BB ($203.05)</font>
<font color="C00000">UTG ($121.40)</font>
MP ($82.40)
Hero ($298.20)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls $2, <font color="CC3333">MP raises to $4</font>, Hero calls $4, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls $2, UTG calls $2.

Flop: ($17) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, MP checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $16</font>, BB calls $16, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises to $32</font>, MP folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $60</font>, BB calls $44, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises to $117.4 (All-In)</font>, Hero folds, BB calls $57.40.

Turn: ($311.80) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: ($311.80) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $311.80
<font color="green">Main Pot: $311.80, between BB and UTG.</font>

mctommy015
08-07-2004, 02:32 PM
he limped in, then called your raise. he probably has a set. after you reraise, and then he pushes, i'd say its safe to fold

FrankLu99
08-08-2004, 04:50 PM
For both your opponents a set is possible, IMHO TP+fl draw is likely too (maybe more probable). I can see a set or nut flush + straight draw (A4clubs) or AKclubs being played this way.

I am not sure if you committed enough to call utg's raise but I would hate to call UTG's bet and see BB move allin behind me with a better hand or a hand that hits (on the later streets).

My guess is that your hand was best on the flop and that BB had TP and UTG had some type of draw (quite possibly the flush draw unless they do crazy stuff and raise with 45s utg). a fold is conservative IMO but coud be a good fold given your read on the style of the other players.

but what do i know, i barely play NL anymore

warlockjd
08-08-2004, 06:34 PM
Not reraising preflop to at least $10 is criminal IMO.

PokerFink
08-08-2004, 11:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not reraising preflop to at least $10 is criminal IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. AKs in the CO is about as good as it gets. Re-raise and isolate the original raiser.

As for you're flop play, I think it's a good laydown.

felson
08-09-2004, 01:13 AM
I usually reraise here, but have been experimenting with flat calling here lately. Some other posters have observed that if you flat call with AK preflop, you'll get more action postflop from weak A's and K's who won't put you on AK since you limped. I also don't mind letting in worse hearts in so that I can bust them if I make the nut flush. So I'm not convinced that calling is so bad.

Girazze
08-09-2004, 01:49 AM
I have to agree with this as well. A raise pre-flop is definitely warranted with AKs. I'd have to say that you will lose more times than win limping in with AK. Thin out the herd.

cornell2005
08-09-2004, 02:14 PM
6 handed, AKs in the CO after a min raise, a re-raise is far far from a necessity. if the table has poor players ill call, if they are better ill reraise. '

the flop reraise seems silly. was that a value raise, information raise, what? a reraise followed by a fold is a very bad combo here

felson
08-09-2004, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the flop reraise seems silly. was that a value raise, information raise, what? a reraise followed by a fold is a very bad combo here

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, now that is an interesting point. I suppose I didn't know how to play the hand. I disliked flat calling because of the flush draw, but I wasn't eager to get all my money in and see a set either, especially since I was looking at two opponents who had already put in a lot of money. But the min limp-reraise followed by the all-in sure looks like a big hand trying to trap.

Let's see... if I flat call and see a club on the turn, I can fold with a clean conscience, although I would feel like I hadn't charged the draw. If a blank falls on the turn, then I still have a decision to make.

How would you play the hand?

JrJordan
08-09-2004, 03:32 PM
Tough spot here, let's see what we can do:

Preflop: MP minraises, and you smooth call? You gotta reraise this to around $12. By just smooth calling you give all sorts of hands the odds to draw out on you. Limit this field to 1-2 opponents and your TPTK will hold up way more often.

Flop: TPTK on a semi-coordinated board. I pot sized bet here is fine. Personally, I like to bet around 3/4 pot instead, but that's just personal preference. Keeps me less pot committed when I get checkraised like this. UTG is screaming that he has a made hand with a min check/raise after your pot sized bet and a cold caller. What that hand is I'm not sure. A bigger raise preflop could knock out a weak straight/flush draw. The only possible hands I can think of are 22 or 33 for the flopped set. How does UTG usually play? Is he LAG enough to go all in with KQ, thinking his hand is good because you didn't raise PF? The other issue here is the BB. His cold call on both your bet and the two reraises is either another monster, or more likely a flush draw. Regarding your reraise; any bet here makes UTG pot committed, so you know he'll be going all in. The question is whether you're willing to committ as well. If you're going to lay down to a UTG reraise all in, then you might as well just call or fold after the checkraise. If you're going to committ, then call his all in and try to build a side pot with BB's flush draw.

Garland
08-09-2004, 04:40 PM
Yup, has all the feeling of a set by UTG followed by the flush and/or straight draw by BB. Good laydown. In fact I might have laid down to the mini-checkraise which really reeks of "set", especially since BB is drawing.

Garland

1800GAMBLER
08-09-2004, 09:44 PM
Hey felson.

Preflop, you should reraise. Flat calling does have it's advtantages however the disadvantage of some hands getting in overweighs it.

Example, say you knew the preflop raiser had KQ and would fold if you reraised but if you call you know the guy behind you who has 22 is going to call also, how should you play it? The situation is hugely complex when it's only a few hands, but for every hand you are lettng in incorrectly you'll be letting two more hands in correct and when they correctly call their money is coming from somewhere, sometimes it's you with top pair, sometimes other people.

Again though, you should also reraise for value, chances are you have PFR dominated which he isn't going to fold and you would like money in now, you'd also like pocket pairs + suited connectors to incorrectly call now that you ahve raised.

The flop is important.

You've bet the pot, BB called, next guy min raises both of you. He could very well have a draw, which is 2:1 against you, he could also have a set in which case you are drawing dead. So already you are a small favourite or a huge dog, since it's very unlikely KQ is doing this. Moreso, there's a lot of money behind, if you look at your effective odds if you want to showdown this it's going to be even money, 200:200. Plus the fact you could have a hand that now can't improve at all, meaning calling and maybe folding the turn could be bad.

I vote fold, you can't always fold TPTK to min raises else it's just too easy to get ran over when you move up in stakes. The important part in this hand is that he has raised two of you. If he only raised you then it is more likely he could have KQ or be bluffing.

If i were to play on with this hand i'd call and then checkraise any none club on the turn because you really are looking to get the BB out.

felson
08-09-2004, 10:10 PM
Well, I posted this thinking that the only tough decision here was whether to fold or call on the end. This thread has raised more issues than I thought it would, so it's been very enlightening.

As for the hand, the flop aggressor had K /images/graemlins/club.gif7 /images/graemlins/club.gif. The caller had A /images/graemlins/club.gifQ /images/graemlins/club.gif.

Ray Zee
08-10-2004, 10:30 PM
you cant read players hands when they are playing like on maverick where they keep raising just the size of the last bet and not the pot. somewhere i would have popped them a ton of money and run out the cards. certainly i would have called the last 60 bucks as the pot was offering like 5 to one. and that had to be the big mistake you made, whether you won or lost.
dispite all the nonsense raising going on there was no indication you were beat.