PDA

View Full Version : Uncomfortable...overpair and a gutshot draw w/99

nepenthe
08-07-2004, 01:10 PM
Preflop raiser in this hand is LAG. He is extremely aggressive with any kind of draws and pushes marginal hands. The preflop 3-bettor (CO) is kind of a nutcase maniac who often doesn't know when to fold and can't let go of hands like AK, AT, KQ, etc.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (7 handed)

Preflop: nepenthe is MP2 with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP1 folds, nepenthe calls, <font color="CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, nepenthe calls.

Flop: (10.33 SB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">nepenthe raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">nepenthe caps</font>, CO calls, UTG calls.

Well, tried to force out CO but it didn't work.

Turn: (11.16 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, nepenthe calls, CO calls.

River: (14.16 BB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, nepenthe calls, CO folds.

Am I against a monster?

Final Pot: 16.16 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 16.16 BB, between nepenthe and UTG.</font>

Brian
08-07-2004, 01:11 PM
Easy 3-bet pre-Flop.

The rest is fine.

-Brian

chesspain
08-07-2004, 01:40 PM
When you're trapped between a LAG and a maniac, and the LAG openraises UTG, I think that a picture of 99 is found under the heading "Typical reraise-or-fold hands." /images/graemlins/grin.gif

nepenthe
08-07-2004, 01:54 PM
I agree with 3-betting preflop. Thing is, my read on the preflop raiser wasn't as definite then and my posting occurred under a 20/20 hindsight.

Brian
08-07-2004, 02:04 PM
Hi nepenthe,

When posting a hand, if you didn't find out until after the hand that the player was a maniac/LAG/whatever, then don't post that information. Just give us whatever information you had at the time.

Even if you didn't have a read on the player in question, my default play at a 7-man table is to 3-bet 99 in these situations. Cold-calling is rarely the correct play, no matter what the situation you are in.

-Brian

nepenthe
08-08-2004, 12:04 AM
I would normally coldcall with 99 if I expected there to be more callers. If I expected a 3 or 4-way pot I would rather 3-bet.

UTG had 88, and MHIG.

Garland
08-08-2004, 12:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: nepenthe is MP2 with 9, 9.
UTG raises, MP1 folds, nepenthe calls, CO 3-bets, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, nepenthe calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless UTG is a maniac, I would probably fold this vulnerable mid-pair. You're going against overcards which is 50-50, or you're going against an overpair which is a big dog. The other compelling reason not to play this for two-cold is others haven't acted behind you. There maybe monsters there too.

If you must play this, you definitely have to 3-bet preflop and drive the other players out.

Flop: I like the raise, but I'm not a fan of the cap.

The rest looks fine.

Garland