PDA

View Full Version : 99 UTG - Raise and pray

AliasMrJones
08-07-2004, 12:37 PM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: AliasMrJones is UTG with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="CC3333">AliasMrJones raises</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls,

Flop: (8.50 SB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">AliasMrJones bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">AliasMrJones 3-bets</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">CO caps</font>, AliasMrJones calls.

Turn: (8.75 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">AliasMrJones bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, AliasMrJones calls.

River: (12.75 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
AliasMrJones checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: 12.75 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 12.75 BB, between AliasMrJones and CO.</font>

Prior to SSH, my strategy with 99 was limp and hope for the set. Often I'd do that with TT as well as at 2/4 you usually have a number of cold callers that will catch that A-J if it hits, and one of those will hit fairly often.

I've been trying to SSH-ize my play so raised with 99 UTG. That flop looked pretty near perfect and I thought about check-raise, but didn't want to risk it being checked through so bet out. The flop raise was a bit surprising, but as it is Party thought it could be A8, K8, T8, etc. so 3-bet. The turn raise made me think I was beat, but then he checked through the river(?).

joker122
08-07-2004, 12:46 PM
The turn bet is pretty bad. I only like it if you can fold to a raise, but even then I prefer to just check call.

AliasMrJones
08-07-2004, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The turn bet is pretty bad. I only like it if you can fold to a raise, but even then I prefer to just check call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check/call turn and river? I agree the bet out on turn was bad. This is another case where it feels like I'm beat on the flop and the river seems to confirm it, but the pot is Big.

The Setup
08-07-2004, 06:37 PM
The CO played this one weird. I'd three-bet the flop then go into check-call mode after that although it feels a bit weak with an overpair. I would've put CO on a hand like A8 on the turn judging by his cold call pre-flop.

AliasMrJones
08-07-2004, 08:21 PM
CO showed Q/images/graemlins/club.gifQ/images/graemlins/spade.gif

I'm surprised he didn't re-raise PF and he missed a bet on the river.