PDA

View Full Version : Bad play or bad beat?

Rift
08-07-2004, 08:43 AM
$25 NL at Paradise. 10 players
1: SB ($14.50 in chips)
2: Villain ($29.75 in chips) (playing like a LAG, calling almost every hand)
3: UTG ($89.24 in chips)
4: Hero ($23.05 in chips)
5: Seat 5 ($19.00 in chips)
6: Seat 6 ($24.90 in chips)
7: MP ($27.85 in chips)
8: Seat 8 ($24.75 in chips)
9: LP ($16.90 in chips)
10: Button ($21.40 in chips)

SB : Post Small Blind ($0.10)
Villain: Post Big Blind ($0.25)

Dealt to Hero [ Tc ][ Td ]

UTG : Call ($0.25)
Hero : Raise ($1.50)
MP: Call ($1.50)
LP: Call ($1.50)
Villain: Call ($1.25)
UTG : Call ($1.25)
Rest folded
Pot: $7.60

*** FLOP *** : [ Ts Ks Jd ]
Villain: Bet ($1.20)
UTG : Call ($1.20)
Hero : Raise ($4)
MP: Fold
LP: Call ($4)
Villain: Raise ($27.05)
UTG : Fold
Hero : Call All-in ($17.55)
LP: Fold
Pot: $59.85

*** TURN *** : [ Ts Ks Jd ] [ 3d ]
*** RIVER *** : [ Ts Ks Jd 3d ] [ Ah ]
Pot: $53.15
Results in white:
<font color="white">
Villain bet $29.75, collected $59.85, net +$30.10[ 9h Qc ] (a straight, ten to ace)
Hero lost $23.05[ Tc Td ] (three of a kind, tens) </font>

GoSox
08-07-2004, 08:59 AM
I wouldn't call it a bad beat at all. You had to know someone had the str8 or at least a str8 or flush draw, especially with that many people in; and all the str8 cards are high in rank so they are more likely to be held. I used to play these hands strong to try and drive out people. Now though I usually call that small bet and take one card. If it doesn't clearly help the str8 or flush then I bet out big since the odds are now half of much for anyone to call. In this case, it would have been the same ending either way unless the board pairs.

m2smith2
08-07-2004, 02:27 PM
I'm a firm believer in the idea that bad beats are when you get your money in with the best of it and get out-drawn. That's a minimum requirement. You were drawing dead to one out on the flop.

I'm surprised it was Q/9. I'd consider A/Qos a possible calling hand from his position, and you obviously gave him no credit for that hand. Just FWIW - I suppose you could have seen him raise late with limpers with that hand before.

Finally, it might have been lazy for him to ignore the possibility that you had A/Qs. Had the flop been rainbowed and you raised, it's easier to rule out that hand. But given two spades, raising with the but straight short of spades would have been the right play. But, if he calls a lot there's no way he's a player who can throw away the bottom straight.

p.s. – he got you with the weak lead on the flop.

SkippingGoat
08-07-2004, 05:22 PM
I don't like raising TT in EP. Most flops will be bad for you and you'll have to bet into the whole field. Furthermore, if someone behind you re-raises you'll likely have to throw away your hand. In this case by raising to 6xBB preflop you built a pot so large that it made it very difficult to get away from your hand.

For what it's worth, I think your call on the flop was ok. A maniac could easily be making this play with two pair or AK/KQ and in the event that they have the straight, you're still getting better than 2-1 from the pot to draw to 7 outs or a running pair to boat up. The only time you're in big trouble is if villain has KK (not likely given no reraise) or JJ.

This was obviously not a bad beat given that you were behind on the flop and TT isn't exactly a monster 5-way preflop.

Garland
08-07-2004, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You were drawing dead to one out on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean one out? He has a set. He has many, many outs to a full house.

Garland

Garland
08-07-2004, 08:36 PM
With your stack sizes the way it is, I don't think you're getting away from this hand. Your opponent could reasonably have AK, KJ or draw hands, ones that you easily beat. You have outs to the full house in cause you're wrong.

I don't like the preflop raise with TT except if your raises are getting too much respect, but it was ridiculous that your opponent called with Q9o, but people get lucky.

Garland