PDA

View Full Version : Did Scott Kill Laci?

Rushmore
08-07-2004, 08:40 AM
Do you support Kobe?

Are Brad and Jen pregnant?

Can we all stop referring to these people as if they were our cousins or something?

Yes, Scott Peterson killed his wife, Laci Peterson.

No, I do not support Kobe Bryant.

Who cares if Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston are pregnant?

Yes, O.J. Simpson killed Nicole Brown Simpson.

I mean, in 1804, were all of the townspeople huddled around the local sistern, yammering about how "Aaron shot Alexander?" I should certainly think not.

So let's all try a little harder not to try to sound like swooning 13 yr-olds when we speak of famous or infamous people.

jdl22
08-07-2004, 10:26 AM
I agree.

Also you mentioned it in a subtle way but why the hell are these people referred to by first name only? I don't know them, neither do most viewers.

UTGunner
08-07-2004, 10:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I mean, in 1804, were all of the townspeople huddled around the local sistern, yammering about how "Aaron shot Alexander?" I should certainly think not

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd be wrong. Gossip about famous and infamous people and shocking crimes has existed throughout recorded history. There are some great books about 19th century scandals, and Roman scandals, etc.

Rushmore
08-07-2004, 10:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree.

Also you mentioned it in a subtle way but why the hell are these people referred to by first name only? I don't know them, neither do most viewers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry for the subtlety. That was my entire point. Obviously, there will be gossip and sensationalism and all of that, I just meant to say that the overpersonalization via the use of first names doesn't sit well with me at all.

It seems almost like some sort of a trick to get us more involved in the story, to interest us more in this nonsense because if they're friends of ours, we are more interested.

Rushmore
08-07-2004, 10:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You'd be wrong. Gossip about famous and infamous people and shocking crimes has existed throughout recorded history. There are some great books about 19th century scandals, and Roman scandals, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't mean to imply that there would have been no talk of the event. I meant to say that it most likely would have involved Mr. Hamilton and Mr. Burr, and not Hammy and A.B..

BeerMoney
08-07-2004, 11:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]

No, I do not support Kobe Bryant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? What if he is innocent. If he's innocent, being falsely accused is worse than committing the crime. Ya, he cheated on his wife, and that's scummy, but it doesn't mean he's a rapist.

Utah
08-07-2004, 11:43 AM
My guess is he is guilty - but I cant be sure. I think it will be telling if and when we hear what he told investigators. I bet that is why he is being prosecuted.

Rushmore
08-07-2004, 12:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why not? What if he is innocent. If he's innocent, being falsely accused is worse than committing the crime. Ya, he cheated on his wife, and that's scummy, but it doesn't mean he's a rapist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, a perfect example of my original point.

1.) Why would I call him "Kobe?"

2.) Why would I "support him?"

Again, my point was not to generate a discussion as to whether or not our entertainers and self-made celebrities are guilty of their crimes or nice people or are ovulating.

My point was that we are having the wool pulled over our collective eyes.

Nancy freakin Grace calls him "Kobe," like he's been in her living room, and we all call him "Kobe," like he's been babysitting our kids.

"Laci" was so sweet. She smiles in all the pictures I see of her. She was so full of life, you know?

And then "Scott" came and took all of that away from "us."

Please. Let's get a grip.

Maybe "Bruce" can write a song about it, so we can all start "healing."

Toro
08-07-2004, 04:03 PM
My guess is, yes, Scott killed Laci. But I have the growing feeling that the prosecution, as they did in the OJ case, is going to blow this one too.

So far they've been able to prove that he's a lousy fisherman who doesn't know the proper bait and that he owned a boat which wouldn't capsize if you threw someone over.

If I were on that jury, I'd be insulted that they were wasting my time with such crap not to mention the insult to my intelligence.

Dynasty
08-07-2004, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So let's all try a little harder not to try to sound like swooning 13 yr-olds when we speak of famous or infamous people.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's at least one thing worse than people who are infatuated with celebrity- people who look down on those infatuated with celebrity.

Rushmore
08-07-2004, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There's at least one thing worse than people who are infatuated with celebrity- people who look down on those infatuated with celebrity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's a matter of "looking down" at people infatuated with celebrity. I merely meant to say that I think it's actually dangerous in a way, that it's sort of a symptom of some Grand Dupe that we have all fallen prey to.

I'm sorry if I appear condescending. It was not my intention to condescend. I was trying to make a point.

I'm sorry, Dynasty. Please don't be mad at me.

MMMMMM
08-07-2004, 05:43 PM
"It seems almost like some sort of a trick to get us more involved in the story, to interest us more in this nonsense because if they're friends of ours, we are more interested."

Now I can't help but wonder about the purpose behind referring to Monica by first name.

Rushmore
08-07-2004, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"It seems almost like some sort of a trick to get us more involved in the story, to interest us more in this nonsense because if they're friends of ours, we are more interested."

Now I can't help but wonder about the purpose behind referring to Monica by first name.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok. Bad choice of words. I meant familiars, ok?

You're smart enough to know what my point was.

Why must I be so misunderstood? I feel just like, uh, Bobby, or maybe Whoopi or Jeffrey.

JTG51
08-07-2004, 08:58 PM
Would that make people who look down on people who look down on people who are infatuated with celebrities the worst people of all?

MMMMMM
08-07-2004, 09:15 PM
I didn't misunderstand you at all; I was trying a little tongue-in-cheek humor.

Rushmore
08-07-2004, 10:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't misunderstand you at all; I was trying a little tongue-in-cheek humor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, bud.

I was just a little miffed, because I just heard that Osama might be planning to attack again, and I don't think that George is paying attention, and I'm not sure if John really cares.

BeerMoney
08-07-2004, 10:28 PM
I always enjoyed referring to Larry Bird as Larry. RU cool with that Rush?

Rushmore
08-08-2004, 02:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does he cut your grass? Is he your A.A. sponsor?

If not, then NO, I am most definitely NOT OK with that.

You asked, bud.

Toro
08-08-2004, 08:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You asked, bud.

[/ QUOTE ]

For the record, I'm not cool with referring to him as Larry either. To me he was always "Larry Legend".

BeerMoney
08-08-2004, 10:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You asked, bud.

[/ QUOTE ]

But, see I was sort of impersonating Johnny Most when I was doing it.. Like, I'm throwing a way a piece of paper, I go to make my shot, and I say , "Larry"... And miss cuz i suck.

paland
08-08-2004, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Why are those people worse? I think that the people who are infatuated are worse than the ones who look down on the infatuators. But I guess that is just a matter of opinion.

Al_Capone_Junior
08-08-2004, 04:07 PM
Just ask scott's lawyers... No, scott couldn't have dumped laci's body into the sea, he was too busy deep sea fishing at the time.

No, OJ couldn't have killed nicole, his innocence was clearly shown by the police chase that interrupted the !@#$%@#$% basketball game I was watching at the time (twas game fking SEVEN of the finals, I believe).

No, kobe couldn't have sexually assaulted that girl, he was too busy @#$%@#$% her brains out at the time.

Who DOES give a @#$% if brad and jen are pregnant? not me!

I agree with your sentiment, the way we as a society discuss these people it is like they are our cousins. More like uncle-cousin perhaps.

al

Boris
08-08-2004, 08:12 PM
Why do you think he is guilty? All the evidence so far would indicate that Bryant is not guilty.

Moyer
08-08-2004, 09:55 PM
I think it's just a side effect of the public discussing these people's lives every single day in tv, radio, newspapers, magazines, internet, etc.

When you say, "Did Scott kill Laci?", "Kobe", or "Brad and Jen", everyone knows who you're talking about.

The media usually does use titles though when they're referring to political figures, like presidents.

On the other hand, if it was a simple conversation between two people, I wouldn't be surprised to hear someone refer to the president as "Dubya" or the last president as "Clinton" instead of "President Clinton" or "Bill Clinton".