PDA

View Full Version : Never Surrender, Never Tilt. Never give into paranoir about the deal.

The once and future king
08-07-2004, 07:02 AM
Friday, Aug 6th.

One of my toughest ever poker sessions.

100£ SNG's Empire/Stars turbos.

Played 29.
ITM:6
1:2
2:3
3:1
4:9

For a total loss to my BR of -1303 (At 24 played it was -1522$).

I was hurting bad. The poker gods had decided to pour pure hate on me. I was losing every coin flip,and worse. Often to hands I wouldnt wipe my ass with. One bubble buster I remember well is all in with KK v K4s (I lost). I lost as favourite again and again and again, on top of this, did my flops hit, did they feck. Frustration was at an all time high.

However, I was getting in as favourite most of the time, the standard of play in the 100s seems to have noticably droped in the last few weeks. Was I going to give up. No. I could beat these morons, I just needed some "fair" card distribution so my "edge" could manifest itself.

So Games 30-34.

Played 5
ITM 5

1:3
2:1
3:1 (Went all in AKs v K4 again. Flop XXK turn Blank river 4)

I am now up 125.

However during the run of satan, did I tilt. The answer can only be yes. When you are deep in the streak and you have just been outdrawn on all in for the umpteenth time, the streak can overcome your perpesctive.

I became mired in the now of poker. I was focused on outcomes not results. I lost sight that at some point the streak would end and normal service would be resumed.

Thus I lost sight of the fact that perfomance within the streak was just as important as at any other time and would contribute to my bottom line just as much as any other time.

This manifested itself on 2 occasions. I have no doubt that on 2 occasions I could have monyed within the streak. However frustration led me to make some awful plays, over pushing my hand to try and get "justice" from the deck.

Now I might not have come first or even second on these two occasions and they would not have wiped out my losses at the time.

However were you to add these wins to my eventual post streak recovery my days work (9hs played) would have been slightly more profitable, and hence my returns for the month and the year improved.

All I am trying to say is that if you are confident you are a winning player and have a proven track record, then try and remember this at all times. You will have bad runs that seem almost unbeleivable in there severity. This must not change your game, maitain focus and discipline do not let paranoir about the deal eat into your psyche and you will allways emerge eventualy victorious.

Good luck and stay strong.

Eder
08-07-2004, 10:24 AM
Glad to hear you've climbed out of the hole.

I had a run of about 60 SnG's running cold...was hard to believe the beats...for the last 25 or so my ROI is 135%...crazy variance...but the swings are inevitable it seems

Crispyk
08-07-2004, 12:21 PM
Good post... this is the type of stuff I love reading when i'm in the midst of fighting through a cold deck. The emotional side of this game is by far the most challenging....

silversurfer
08-07-2004, 12:31 PM
While you and I don't play in the same league, I go through the exact same thing. Don't let the fools get to you and interfere with your winning play. Good post.