PDA

View Full Version : Playing low PP on bubble

Meatmaw
08-07-2004, 06:23 AM
How do you play low pocket pairs on the bubble? Say I'm on the button in blinds 75/150. all have ~$3500 but for SB who has 2000. UTG folds. I have 44. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

tubbyspencer
08-07-2004, 08:52 AM
I'd min or 2x raise(possibly 3x) and hope for 2 folds. Or you can consider it a semi bluff if you're only called. you've got a pair and position, and if only one of the blinds calls, chances are good you're still ahead on the flop. If called PF and checked to on the flop, I might bet 1/2 to 3/4 max pot.

Of course, you sure don't want to get broke to a pair of fours on the bubble when the blinds are low and one guy is approaching panic mode. So maybe that's a little too aggressive(but then, that's usually my problem - over aggression!)

patrick dicaprio
08-07-2004, 10:40 AM
i used to push/call all in with these hands, but after reading some of the posts here about playing small PP on the bubble i changed my play and usually fold if it is pushed all in before me. you might want to search for these posts, there was some recent discussion on this topic.

Pat

BigJohn043
08-07-2004, 03:39 PM
The advice that I am reading here is pretty bad.

First, you can't be timid on the bubble. This is your best time to pick up chips. Particularly on low buy-in PP SNGs. If I can make it to the last 4 or 5, I steal my way into the lead a good bit of the time.

You have more than 10x the BB, so you aren't in push mode.

A low pocket pair is a very good hand four handed. You are a favorite to beat anything but a higher PP.

A min raise is an awful idea here. You are essentially pricing in a call from the blinds. I would raise it at least 3x the BB here.

75% of the time the blinds will fold. If they reraise, then you fold.

If they call, you have position. If it is checked to me I bet the pot. If the flop misses me and I am bet into I fold, assuming it isn't some silly min bet. If the flop hits me then I will either slow play or come over the top depending on how scary the board is.

Milky
08-09-2004, 12:19 PM
Agreed. People aren't going to get any tighter than when on the bubble typically, so I definitely come out betting 3xBB. If called then you have position but 90% of the time they're going to fold so it doesn't usually matter. You need to steal the blinds as much as possible at this time to survive and possibly take over as chip leader.

Jason Strasser
08-09-2004, 12:26 PM
Raise 3xBB, and take a stab at a pot if its checked to you on the flop, then back off if you don't improve from a pair.

-Jason