PDA

View Full Version : Played this one like crap...

brassnuts
08-07-2004, 05:59 AM
B&M 3/6

Preflop: 3 limpers, Hero calls K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif on Button, SB completes, BB checks.
Yeah, I know it's loose, hadn't been seeing any flops nor had I had won a pot in almost 3 hours at this point. Poor excuse, whatever.

Flop: 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
All check to me... Hero checks. <-- BIG mistake or just a mistake?

Turn: Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif.
EP checks, MP bets, LP folds, Hero calls, SB folds, BB folds, EP calls.

There was a post like this a couple days ago, where everyone basically agreed you have to raise the turn. I table just had a strong vibe that nobody had crap. I figured a turn raise would have taken it down right there. Of course, the fact that I hadn't been in barely any pots, let alone raising anything, made me look like a huge rock.

River: 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif.
MP bets, Hero raises, all fold.

jt1
08-07-2004, 07:18 AM
I might go for the overcallers. You fear another diamond, but not all that much. You loose one bet to A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and another to top pair. You gain bets from under pairs and smaller diamonds.

Preflop indicates tilt

flop play is stupid.

Chris Daddy Cool
08-07-2004, 08:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Preflop indicates tilt

[/ QUOTE ]

preflop isn't that bad with the button

[ QUOTE ]
flop play is stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

i totally agree.

once you flop a flush and don't bet.. you might as well have folded preflop. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

jt1
08-07-2004, 08:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
preflop isn't that bad with the button

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but his thinking is tilt. I think there are 4 limpers here. If it were K7s then I'd play. But really, his is a borderline situation, and everyone makes borderline plays based on their mood so I guess I was just being an ass.

MAxx
08-07-2004, 09:18 AM
Playing Kxs from button after limpers..... ablsolutely. That's not loose, thats solid play. I'd bet flop from Button if checked to me, but your flop-check does not look like a huge mistake to me.

You did not play this like crap. You could have taken several different lines such as bet the flop, raised the turn, or gone for the overcall on river. I think that your read that nobody had anything was probably right, and you probably were not going to get a huge pot here no matter what you did. I would also like to point out that your position relative to the mp better and the other caller made it tough. You wanted to raise, but making the ep call 2cold may lose him. Or said another way this situation would have been much better for you if the ep was leading and mp was overcalling and you could raise them both.

You did fine IMO

HajiShirazu
08-07-2004, 09:46 AM
There are worse things you could do then play this on the button after limpers. Online I fold, but live play is boring, and the hand has got to be very close to even EV regardless of what side it's on, plus it makes you look like a looser player if you show it down, so I would play.
But come on. Bet the flop and get the calls from crap diamonds, pairs, all sorts of stuff that was afraid to bet. You should bet with position with a wide variety of hands, so take the chance to bet here when you have a real hand.

chesspain
08-07-2004, 09:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd bet flop from Button if checked to me, but your flop-check does not look like a huge mistake to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

The flop check was poor. As you mention later, chances are this was not going to be a big pot. Why not try to get a couple of bets in now, especially since it certainly looks like you are trying to steal the pot? Unless someone has a the Q or A of diamonds, you're probably not going to get a lot of action from anyone else no matter what falls on the turn. So collect their money now!

[ QUOTE ]
I would also like to point out that your position relative to the mp better and the other caller made it tough. You wanted to raise, but making the ep call 2cold may lose him. Or said another way this situation would have been much better for you if the ep was leading and mp was overcalling and you could raise them both.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Hero needs to forget about everyone else in this hand at this point besides for MP. Unless anyone else has a very good hand or a high diamond, they are likely folding anyway. Collect the extra bet from MP now, and the possible coldcalls from anyone else with a Q or a high diamond, since you won't collect anything on the river from anyone who at that point has a busted diamond draw.

[ QUOTE ]
You did fine IMO

[/ QUOTE ]

I think not.

MAxx
08-07-2004, 10:19 AM
I agree with you on the flop bet.

I disagree with you on the turn. While your play has merits, I do not see hero's action as a huge mistake.

Hero's raise on turn could cause one to fold, both to fold, or both call sometimes. I think Hero was money on turn to call or raise. If faced with this situation 1000 times, tell me how raising is going to be significanly higher ev. If I am wrong, show me... I am open.

chesspain
08-07-2004, 10:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I disagree with you on the turn. While your play has merits, I do not see hero's action as a huge mistake.

Hero's raise on turn could cause one to fold, both to fold, or both call sometimes. I think Hero was money on turn to call or raise. If faced with this situation 1000 times, tell me how raising is going to be significanly higher ev. If I am wrong, show me... I am open.

[/ QUOTE ]

All that the blinds and EP have done on the flop and the turn is to check. Assuming that they will call here is wishful thinking. Consequently, you need to focus on the player who has gone after this pot. Of course, if MP is bluffing or has a very weak hand, you may not get any more money out of him after this anyway. But if he has a Q or a high diamond he will call one more right now, and any of the others may coldcall with a diamond as well, right now.

I think that the combination of checking the flop and calling the turn will leave more money on the table than it will win in the long run.

BigBaitsim (milo)
08-07-2004, 11:41 AM
This play has "tilt" written all over it. The call preflop was solid with all the limpers, but for the wrong reasons.

Once you flopped the flush, you have to get max value, which at these limits and with that many limpers, betting the flop. You will get callers here. You checked hoping someone would get something worth playing, and because you were frustrated by your losing streak (more tilt).

On the turn I'd raise if bet into, bet if checked to. If they are drawing, make them pay for it. Letting have a free card (which might happen after you've bet the flop) won't help you here but could help them. On the other hand, this is Party, and some may call with TPNK or worse, so again bet this.

If there is a river, bet it.