PDA

View Full Version : Bad Turn Bet

05-16-2002, 12:44 AM
30/60. I raise UTG with Qh Qd. The two really bad players at the table call me, one in LP and the other in SB.

Flop: Kc 7c 4d . I bet, LP calls and the SB folds. LP is capable of calling me here with any pair, ace high, and god only knows what else. He is very aggressive, though, so I think that a pair of kings is unlikey.

Turn: As . I bet and he calls. Was this a bad bet? I think that going into check-call mode may be the best play, because he is a pretty big bluffer, and I'm in a really bad spot if he raises. What do you think? The justification for betting is that he will call with many weaker hands than mine, and I think I'm ahead, but I still think checking is the better play.

River: 7h . I check, he bets, and I call. My queens beat his Jc8c.

The play that really concerns me is the turn bet. Do you think that it was a bad bet even though he is extremely loose? The fact that he is an aggressive bluffer is why I think checking is the better play, but what do you think?

-Dan

05-16-2002, 12:49 AM
Your play was good on the river; you induced a bluff. It's close on the turn. Lean to check-call, but betting is OK too.

05-16-2002, 01:24 AM
I like the turn bet. Remember that an Ace *and* a King on the board should scare him as much as you. He would have to be really ballsy to make a move on you with both of those cards out there. Bet the turn to charge any draws, then check the river and call any bets.

You played it perfectly IMO.

05-16-2002, 09:40 AM
The only draws are gutshot broadway and the clubs.

I don't think he folds either given his description.

SO, giving a free card in this spot would not be a catastrophe. Also, the money will often go in anyway when you check to an aggressive, bluffing type.

I would sometimes check here.

05-16-2002, 12:12 PM
Good post! I think it's close either way with

checking and calling probably better. What were

you going to do if you were raised on the turn?

If you had predetermined that you were going to

fold then checking and calling is a better course

of action. Typically against weak players who

are capable of holding any two cards when they have position on me I tend to play more passively

when I have a marginal holding. What would you have done if he raised on the flop and then followed through with a bet on the turn. It would

be a tough spot to be in.

Bruce

Bruce