PDA

View Full Version : Jim Brier cardplayer hand #4

05-15-2002, 09:42 PM
Look at his column from the latest Cardplayer, on hand number 4, I don't disagree with his recommended action.

My question is: Why would anyone be dumb enough

to announce that he's a pot limit player?

That just gives too much away. I don't think anyone should announce anything like that.

Why put yourself in such a hole?

05-16-2002, 12:28 AM
See Mason's Poker Essays III, pp.23-25, for an interesting piece on this subject.

05-16-2002, 12:47 AM
I just reread it. Has anyone recently played in a game where someone has announced "I'm a pot limit player?"

I haven't. At the Commerce they spread a pot limit game, but I haven't seen anyone "warm up"

say, at 30-60 or 40-80.

05-16-2002, 01:38 AM
All pot-limit players are insane. Pay no attention to them.

-Zeno

05-16-2002, 01:42 AM
All pot-limit players are insane.

I agree, but I am unsure about the causation. I played pot-limit a bunch two summers ago, and I felt like it was making me sort of insane. But then again, I had to be insane to play it in the first place. So I don't know where it all started!

-Dan

05-16-2002, 04:29 AM
You're right in that most "pot limit players" play limit just awful. And it's good to know who the bad players are.

I believe my reason for their doing it, and I have heard these statements on many occasions, is that they believe that since they are pot limit players that makes them superior to the limit players, and they are having trouble with the fact that they don't win at limit.

05-16-2002, 07:24 AM

05-16-2002, 09:38 AM
Still, They would be better off keeping it to themselves. They might lose less slowly or even win short-term.

05-16-2002, 11:37 AM
Back to the problem in Cardplayer. I don't think the fact that you are up against a pot-limit player affects the solution. I would still reraise.

05-17-2002, 01:09 AM
I will add some verbiage to this thread. (I did not read the #4 hand of Mr. Brier fame).

Mason, as usual, is correct in saying that most pot-limit players think they are "superior or better" than limit players. Their Game is Real Poker as opposed to limit (read: whimpy) poker. I will not debate this issue. It is silly too - Each game as its challeneges and tactics - and "superiority" clouds the real issue of learning to play properly in any game that you undertake to learn. I have played both games and still do (I started with limit play however) and, in general, when pot-limit players play in a limit game I have noticed the following (not an inclusive list by any means):

Pot-limit players overplay pairs, but usually overplay med (JJ to 55) to lower pairs and do so from later positions. Bluff more, usually from position, into too many players. Raise too often into a field of players that have them beat. Miss or misread the tactics of checks, calls, etc. and other manuvers by limit players. Complain too much about draws or playing style of the limit play. In general, do not make the necessary adjustments to their game to play at all well or with the patience that they will show at the pot-limit table. The ego problem will creep (or landslide) into their game and usual destroys it. All this can be use to the advantage of limit players.

-Zeno

-Zeno

05-18-2002, 01:31 AM
Zeno,

What this all seems to add up to is: much ego yet again! You don't hear the self- styled PL players complain when a sheep or two comes to their table and is (usually speedily) shorn of their bankroll, so they cover up their own forays into the limit games with clouds of nonsense when they aren't able to adjust, and thereby come to grief. Human nature at work?

perfidious