PDA

View Full Version : Do I have to pay off this bet?

05-15-2002, 08:40 PM
There are two limpers to me I raise with AKc, in the cutoff button folds and both blinds call.

Flop comes Ks-Qc-3s, checked to me I bet everyone calls.

Turn is 3d the sb bets out BB calls and others fold to me. This player is any two card player with a little bit of imagination but not showing it today. He has paired his hole card twice in the last hour and played it the same way. This is an easy fold.....or not?

river was a blank....he bets again if I called the turn do I call the river when he bets? Results in a separate post.(bb is going to calll all the way with any pair I am sure of it!!!)

Thanks in advance!!!!!

Swiss Cheese

05-15-2002, 08:45 PM
I called the whole way...he turns over 10-3 off for the winner. Nobody has posted yet but I believe I never should of put in the extra 2 bets knowing he has played this way and his slight bit of imagination. Just another silly way to give bets away.

Swiss Cheese

05-15-2002, 09:05 PM
I didn't look at the results yet and I don't care what they are. Pay him off and congratulate him if he turned a better hand. If he flopped the hand he's betting the turn with, why didn't he check/raise? If you start folding AK here on the turn, you're minced meat. IMO-

05-15-2002, 09:38 PM
Ok so he had a 3. Good for him. I still think you have to pay it off. Otherwise, people will start betting you off all kinds of hands any time a scare card comes. If the guy's got the creativity of a door knob, then you can fold. There are a few players like that, but not many. IMO-

05-16-2002, 03:52 PM
This is all about your player knowledge of the SB. All I can say is you need to be 90% certain (you are risking 2BB to win 11.5BB, and have 2 outs to fall back on when behind) that you are against a 3 to make a lay down on the turn profitable.

05-16-2002, 05:09 PM
Coilean-

I don't believe there is any law which says he HAS to put 2 bets at risk. I know it might seem even sillier to fold the river (when the pot is now bigger), but calling the turn can have the effect of stopping a bluff on the river. This would be especially true with a 3rd player in the pot who also called. Granted, calling the turn only to fold the best hand on the river is a sure path to going broke, but I think plays designed to stop bluffs have their place and this might have been one of them. IMO-

Also, I'm very familiar with games Swiss plays in and the opponents he faces. I can tell you that I would almost never fold the turn except only against a very select handful of players.