PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble with loose $5 sngs at Party.

parappa
08-06-2004, 05:04 PM
I'm suddenly having a lot of trouble with these games. I've been winning for weeks. The basic way I win is that I win a pot somewhere in the first 3 or levels that takes me somewhere over 1000, then I steal blinds here and there and play my good hands aggressively against the small stacks. The problem is that my strategy no longer seems to be working, and I can't figure out why.

The games that I'm getting are much more loose passive pre-flop and loose-aggressive post-flop. There are tons of limpers into every pot, and someone is putting most of their chips on the line in most pots for the first couple of levels.

All too often I sit there for the first couple of levels, play a couple of late position hands that miss the flop, fold, and end up with between 600-700 chips, where I have often ended up and it's a position I don't particularly mind being in.

What I'm seeing my last in at least ten of my last twenty games when we get to 4 or 5 handed are 3 huge stacks, me, and possibly someone else. When I end up 4-handed with the stacks 3000, 2500, 2000 and me at 500, I really have no chance. The three other stacks just play pattycake with each other and attack my blinds, which they should be doing.

I don't see how I'm going to get more chips earlier without playing more pots or making huge re-raises to try to get all the dead limper's money once or twice in the first couple of rounds, and I feel as if loosening up and chasing along with everyone else cannot possibly be the answer.

So, the predictable questions:

a) Do I need to loosen up? I'm following Aleo's 10+1 guide pretty much to the letter because I know longer trust that I'm not on tilt. It's not producing enough playable hands for me to be competitive in these games.

b) The cliche low-limit loser question: Is there a point of loose-aggression that can be reached in an sng where I can no longer find an edge? In a ring game, I can simply outwait them, and I understand how much variance I can get in those games. The problem with an sng is that your bankroll isn't long enough to wait for premium hands for as long as it takes.

Any and all comments appreciated.

parappa
08-06-2004, 05:29 PM
(Btw, I know that these are at least semi-FAQs, but I can't seem to find discussions about them using search, probably because my terms are too general, so thread info would be sincerely appreciated in lieu of an answer)