PDA

View Full Version : Another Puzzle (Woohoo): A Piece of Cake

The Armchair
08-06-2004, 03:24 PM
You have a perfectly cylindrical cake. Say, height 5", diameter 5", but that doesn't matter (it's purely for illustrative purposes. You also have a knife. And you can make the measurements you deem necessary.

Making only 3 cuts -- and they have to be true cuts, not jagged ones -- cut the cake into eight congruent pieces.

Answer in white, please.

jwvdcw
08-06-2004, 03:41 PM
<font color="white"> cut an 'x' on the top, then on the other side cut a straight line through the middle. </font>

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-06-2004, 03:43 PM
Where are you getting these from? Do you have a child bringing these home from daycare?

The Armchair
08-06-2004, 04:09 PM
My old math teacher loved them. And I have a decent memory.

kyro
08-08-2004, 12:35 AM
<font color="white"> Heard this one so I can't pretend to be smart. Cut it into four pieces normally, then cut it horizontally from the middle. I dunno if that makes sense but whatever, I'm sure someone else got it </font>

morello
08-09-2004, 04:26 PM
this one is extremely easy compared to the others that have been posted IMO. or maybe it's because I have a tiny bit of experience with solid modelling, autocad etc.

I couldn't get the 12 chip problem tho /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

anyways,

<font color="white"> Hard to explain non-visually. Basically you make one cut on each of the x,y,z axis. If you're thinking in 2D, imagine a circle. make a cut along the x-axis, and another along the y-axis. you should have 4 symmetrical pieces. now imagine your circle has some height (cylinder). make the final cut along the midpoint of this height. now you have 8 pieces. </font>