PDA

View Full Version : Did I play this correctly?

Milky
08-06-2004, 03:09 PM
First time posting one of these so if I screw up you know why /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Was I being too aggressive with this play?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t1645)
SB (t260)
Hero (t690)
UTG (t215)
MP1 (t2365)
MP2 (t1710)
CO (t1115)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, MP1 calls t30, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises to t60</font>, CO calls t60, Button folds, SB folds, Hero calls t30, MP1 calls t30.

Flop: (t255) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, CO checks.

Turn: (t255) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t100</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO calls t100.

River: (t455) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t530 (All-In)</font>

blendedsuit
08-06-2004, 03:20 PM
<font color="blue"> Some more info would be helpful. What is the buy-in, $5 or $50? With the big blind at 30 chips, this is very early in the tourney but you still could say something about your opponents.

By pushing on the river, I think it would be very difficult for the CO to call with a hand worse than yours, (i.e. a smaller pocket pair, A6, Ace high). If you had done a check and call at the river, you would be in no worse a position, with the added benefit of him bluffing at you. </font>

Milky
08-06-2004, 05:05 PM
Sorry, this was a $10+1 SnG on PartyPoker and no real reads (still working on that, it's one of my weaknesses)though the overall table was somewhat loose (I know, not much help). Once the third queen hit I thought I was golden since no one bet the flop (with 2 to a flush on board I expected either the 8 or Q to bet).

adanthar
08-06-2004, 05:09 PM
What worse hand will call you when you overbet the pot like this?

How many better hands will fold to your overbet? (Hint: At 10+1, AA-JJ will autocall, TT-99 probably will, and an 8 is reasonably likely to)

Milky
08-06-2004, 05:22 PM
Good point, something I wasn't thinking about obviously. I really just wanted to take the pot right there and didn't really think too much /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks for the advice. What would your play have been?

byronkincaid
08-06-2004, 05:39 PM
I don't like the all in. What has this guy got? A flush draw would be cool he'll fold but he would have folded to a smaller bet. Qx you're stuffed. A8 or even 88 and it's bye bye. He called the turn, why? I would check this or bet a couple of hundred but perhaps I'm getting weak in my old age.

Just IMHO of course

patrick dicaprio
08-06-2004, 08:02 PM
unless you think that he will call with worse hands hoping for an A kicker to win there is no reason to go all in. one thing to keep in mind is that whenever you go all in in this situation your hand is fairly obvious so you will only be called if beaten or tied, so there is no +EV.

Pat

Milky
08-06-2004, 08:18 PM
CO folds to All-in. Thanks for the analysis all, I didn't think this was the right play but I wanted to make sure /images/graemlins/wink.gif

adanthar
08-06-2004, 08:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What would your play have been?

[/ QUOTE ]

Either check/call up to 100, or bet 100 myself and fold to a raise. It's a tricky hand that I don't really like and really don't want to be involved in once somebody actually calls the turn.

Check/calling some may be too weak, though, so yeah, fire off a (small) bet and hope he has pocket twos.