PDA

View Full Version : Tough Decision Hand

mistaken
08-06-2004, 02:38 PM
Hey all,

Any help is welcome...

Party $20+2 Multi with about 750 players total. 80 players finish in the money.

The 81st place has just been handed out and it's time to start playing my game. I have about 8,000 chips (about average) and I'm hoping to get to the final table.

The blinds just moved to 400/800 and I'm in the BB. I get dealt 99. It's folded to late position with 12,000 chips who doubles the BB (I've seen him do this once before in the 20 hands or so that I've been at the table.) I decide to just call... mistake already??.

Flop comes 10 5 4 rainbow. I check and he bets about 1/2 the pot... what's the correct move? Have I screwed it up already?

Thanks y'all.
Mistaken

Bernas
08-06-2004, 02:47 PM
Would it be out of the question to reraise him before the flop? It might give you a better idea of where he is at.

Cleveland Guy
08-06-2004, 02:49 PM
Without a player read here- sounds like he might have been on a semi steal with Ax.

A half pot bet, if I read it correctly is about 1000 - and you have only about 7200 left. After posting next hand - you'll be under 7000, and if there are ante's you'll be severly short stacked by the time the blinds come back around to you again.

If I read him correctly for Ax, or 2 high cards I'm pushing here.

SossMan
08-06-2004, 03:18 PM
Push preflop....
if you messed up and just called, I would ch-raise all in on the flop.
If he checks behind and another over card comes, I would check-fold and move onto the next hand.

PokerNeal
08-06-2004, 04:03 PM
Or he could have pocket Q's like it happened to me yesterday at the Party Super Thursday tourney. There is another post on this forum where I have detailed that hand. To quote Phil Helmuth "To be a great NLH player you have to learn to fold what could be a winning hand". Make that decision and move on and I will bet more than 50% of the time you will see that you would have lost that hand. At least you hung around and maybe you will get another chance where you have a rock solid assured win under the gun.

Sometimes you must first survive before you thrive! /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

SossMan
08-06-2004, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Or he could have pocket Q's like it happened to me yesterday at the Party Super Thursday tourney. There is another post on this forum where I have detailed that hand. To quote Phil Helmuth "To be a great NLH player you have to learn to fold what could be a winning hand". Make that decision and move on and I will bet more than 50% of the time you will see that you would have lost that hand. At least you hung around and maybe you will get another chance where you have a rock solid assured win under the gun.

Sometimes you must first survive before you thrive! /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

In addition to the BAD BEAT POLICE, I think we need a WEAK TIGHT POLICE.

cferejohn
08-06-2004, 04:12 PM
I push preflop. If the imp of the perverse makes me call, I push that flop. If he has a ten or an overpair, oh well.

Out of curiosity, what happened in the other hand where he min-raised? Did you see his hand? Has he been making bigger raises otherwise? If I feel confident that a min-raise by this player always means big PP, I still call the preflop bet (since I'm a near-lock to double up if I hit my set), but I can pitch it on the flop.

cferejohn
08-06-2004, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is outrageously weak-tight. You have 10x the BB, you need to get some chips if you are going to survive. 99 is a good hand, and unless you have some reason to suspect that the min-raise means a strong hand (see my other post), you have to assume you are ahead here. If all you care about is getting a few more money positions, fine, call the flop and let it go on the flop; if you care about getting to the real money, be aggressive with this unless you have real reason to suspect a monster.

SossMan
08-06-2004, 05:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I push preflop. If the imp of the perverse makes me call, I push that flop. If he has a ten or an overpair, oh well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kid 1: stop copying me
Kid 2: stop copying me
Kid 1: Mooooooommm!!! He's copying me!
Kid 2: Mooooooommm!!! He's copying me!

Potowame
08-06-2004, 05:24 PM
First if the Blinds where just moved to 400/800, this might be his style when the blinds reach that level. It really depends on the table, if it was tight he could have felt that mini raise was enough to make a blind steal.

If you push this pre-flop he is folding most hands, AK JJ-AA calling, some may lay down JJ. I would say with a standard table, you win this with a preflop push the majority of times, if you have a soild table image.

SossMan
08-06-2004, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...some may lay down JJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah...good luck with that.

gergery
08-06-2004, 06:40 PM
Dear Imp of the Imp of the Perverse,

ROTFL.

--Greg