PDA

View Full Version : Heads Up and Huge Blinds

wacki
08-06-2004, 02:00 PM
Hero has $19,000 in chips
Bully has $8,000 in chips

The blinds are 600/1,200

My opponent is going all in whenever he gets a picture card and is in the SB. A previous post has concluded that I must call with A9o or better.

My question is, when should I push when I'm in the SB. Also, if I'm in the BB should I push with good cards, or play it out?

AtlBrvs4Life
08-06-2004, 02:25 PM
There is a long post on this that I can't seem to find. With these blinds, I would push with just about any ace, king, queen, any pocket pair, and hands like J10. Whatever you do, it is all-in or fold time because your opponent only has about 6xBB.

wacki
08-06-2004, 06:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There is a long post on this that I can't seem to find. With these blinds, I would push with just about any ace, king, queen, any pocket pair, and hands like J10. Whatever you do, it is all-in or fold time because your opponent only has about 6xBB.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems pretty loose to me, does anyone else agree?

cferejohn
08-06-2004, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems pretty loose to me, does anyone else agree?

[/ QUOTE ]

At these blinds, heads up, this seem pretty standard. I'm pushing with anything better than average, and the list here just about covers it. I'm probably calling the bully with any ace, any pair, any 2 broadway cards, and decent kings (K9, K8).

Its a crapshoot, but you have the advantage (due to larger stack size) unless you become too passive.

patrick dicaprio
08-06-2004, 07:55 PM
if you wait for A9 or better you will be in bad shape. your opponent is pretty much playing correctly if you are tight, since he has no other way to get back in it. i would be calling him with a lot more than A9 and would be pushing with just about anything decent. you should look at it as if he doesnt have an overpair even if you are called you wont be more than 6-4 dog or so or maybe 7-3. anything better than T9s and i am in there and sometimes with worse.

Pat

adanthar
08-06-2004, 08:43 PM
I'm not pushing with anything. I'm *raising* most hands that other people have said they would push with, and then calling about the top 50-75% of them to an all in (depending on how aggressive the guy has been.)

There is no- ZERO- reason to all in with Q2o when you can raise it to 3K and fold to a raise. (If he's a real LAG and can be expected to come over the top with anything, you have no business either raising all in OR raising with Q2o; wait for an ace, king, pair, two Broadway, or stuff adding up to 17 or 18, one of which you should get while still outchipping him by a good margin.)

After about two hands heads up, most people are going to figure out you autopush rather than raise and will call you with anything they would reraise with. Your folding equity promptly zeroes out, and you wind up playing the aforementioned Q2o as a 3:2 dog when losing puts you in a very troubling spot. When people autopush against me, I wind up taking a *lot* of firsts for this exact reason.

ddubois
08-06-2004, 09:42 PM
With the size of the stack, If you raise your crappy queen 3k and he re-raises allin, aren't you pot committed? You're getitng 2:1 to call at that point.

eastbay
08-06-2004, 10:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hero has $19,000 in chips
Bully has $8,000 in chips

The blinds are 600/1,200

My opponent is going all in whenever he gets a picture card and is in the SB. A previous post has concluded that I must call with A9o or better.

My question is, when should I push when I'm in the SB. Also, if I'm in the BB should I push with good cards, or play it out?

[/ QUOTE ]

I worked this problem to death a few months ago with computer simulations, pitting various strategies against each other exhaustively over millions of trials.

Basically, pushing with top 70% of hands, calling with top 30% is very, very hard to beat in this situation.

Also, being too loose is much better than being too tight.

Search for details.

eastbay

adanthar
08-06-2004, 10:33 PM
Look at eastbay's chart in the other thread. Q2o is 30% against aces, pairs and big kings, and, oh yeah, it's dominated by any queen so that makes it 25% against those. You're basically hoping he reraised all in heads up, knowing that you will probably call, with J high. (Wow, that chart is worse than I thought. I was using 3:2 as a guideline but...)

It's not even a marginal 2:1 call. Against the type of opponent I am thinking of, you can and should fold it.

adanthar
08-06-2004, 10:40 PM
Interesting. Turns out that if you use your chart to figure out what top 70% *is*, the breaking point is just about A2o. The top 30% is about QTo.

I'm definitely going to have to start folding more low aces.

ddubois
08-07-2004, 03:40 AM
Is that top 30% of hands against random hands, or top 30% of hands aganist some particular selection of good hands?

From your bumped chart (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=592219&page=0&view=collap sed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1#Post900501592219), top 30% of your 3rd column is somewhere around QTo/87s, and top 70% is somewhere around J7o/A2o?

TheCat
08-07-2004, 04:44 AM
Do I understand you correctly?
Heads up when you are the chip leader. You push (go all in) with the best 70% of hands. You call an all in raise with the best 30% of hands.

Does the stratagy change when you are not chip leader?

eastbay
08-07-2004, 11:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is that top 30% of hands against random hands, or top 30% of hands aganist some particular selection of good hands?

From your bumped chart (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=592219&page=0&view=collap sed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1#Post900501592219), top 30% of your 3rd column is somewhere around QTo/87s, and top 70% is somewhere around J7o/A2o?

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried a few different ways to rank-order the hands, and would suggest using my "refined list of all-in hands" ranking.

But this is no place to be making fine distinctions. There's only a small difference between pushing top 60%, 70%, or 80%. Measured in a % or two win difference.

eastbay

Nick B.
08-07-2004, 09:09 PM
I would push almost all your hands that aren't absolutely awful from the sb. I would call any ace, pp, or k6s or better.