PDA

View Full Version : Which level to play ?

Tosh
08-06-2004, 12:14 PM
I've never found NL that appealing in cash games but recently I've been wanting to play it more so. I've played a lot of NL tournaments, varying buyins between $10 and $500+. That has at least given me a basic understanding of NL, although cash games are obviously different. I have played some of the $25 games on party but I can't really see the benefit of playing them.

Really my question is whether theres any real reason not to play the $200 games on Party? I possibly would prefer deeper money but most of my money is on Party sites so it would be a lot easier to play there.

TheGrifter
08-06-2004, 12:19 PM
Tosh,

How comfortable are you with multi-tabling? I'm not very familiar with the party games, but from what I've heard they're quite soft so you may want to play 4-5 tables of 50 dollar max before jumping into the 200's, this will lower your variance and still give you a good hourly earn.

Tosh
08-06-2004, 12:21 PM
I'm happy to play 4+ tables, normally just 4 though.

Poker Jon
08-06-2004, 12:22 PM
Hey Tosh,

I would personally try the Stars $100 games as a feeler. I have found them to be pretty soft of late. You get a lot of players who have moved up from the $50 and all of a sudden seem to be all at sea in the $100 game.

Also a lot of players buy in to the $100 game with only $40 (I would say about 50% of people seem to do this), so if you weigh in with your $100 and pound them, you will nearly always take their money.

After starting on these table about a month ago, I have found I can easily make $100 in a 1-2 hour session, playing only one table. I am sure this profit could be quadrupled if using 4 tables.

I personally detest Party because of both the players and the support although you may find it even more profitable as the amount of fish there is huge.

I have yet to play at the Stars $200 tables but I am sure they can't be much different.

Cheers,

Jon

TheGrifter
08-06-2004, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
After starting on these table about a month ago, I have found I can easily make $100 in a 1-2 hour session, playing only one table. I am sure this profit could be quadrupled if using 4 tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be so sure.

mrjetguy
08-06-2004, 03:35 PM
When playign NL I persoanlly feel that it is better to play 1 or 2 tables at a higher buyin than 4+ a lower buyin. With 4 or more tables you WILL miss out on a lot of info that can make you a lot of money. I almost always play just one table and leave the game with notes on almost every player at the table. But if you don't want to spend time observing your opponents that multi-tabling is the way to go...

Bob Moss
08-06-2004, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I personally detest Party because of both the players and...

[/ QUOTE ]

What makes you detest the players?

Bob

Poker Jon
08-07-2004, 10:34 AM
I detest party players as I don't feel I play my best game against Chimpanzees who call a raise holding a bamboo shoot and a packet of rasins.

I never know what to do when then flop comes down:

Packet of Raisins, Bamboo, A /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I also think the support is very very poor!

Jon

Big O
08-07-2004, 10:50 AM
You should play a limit that your bankroll and skills allows. If you had $2000 for a bankroll, then a $100 buy in table would be fine. However, the players are better here in general than the lower buy ins. Get your feet wet in the lower limits first then move up when you are ready

Che
08-07-2004, 02:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Get your feet wet in the lower limits first then move up when you are ready

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never played cash games (other than an occasional fling - probably less than 1000 hands total), but I like what Big O says here.

I'm planning to add cash games to my repetoire after the WCOOP ends and I'll be starting at the $50 tables playing only one table the first week or so. Then, I plan to add a second $50 table and stay with 2 $50's until I get comfortable.

As you know, Tosh, my bankroll would allow me to play higher right away, but I think patience is the way to go.

For those of you who don't read the multi-table tourney forum, I'm a regular over there but I'm about to move in on your space. /images/graemlins/cool.gif You can expect lots of hand posts related to moronic plays I've made over the next few weeks. Please don't be afraid to tell me I've screwed up - I can handle it. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Later,
Che

Tosh
08-07-2004, 03:11 PM
Seriously, what can you learn from playing $50 NL games? I see them as being a bit pointless when I'm so over bankrolled for them and you're a better NL player than me. Patience is necessary when a) Building a small roll gradually or b) when you would be outclassed in the higher limit. Neither of these hold true for you.

Kirkrrr
08-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Che,

I've read quite a few of your posts over the last couple months and don't think you're going to have too much difficulty at $50 or $100 levels /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good luck at the WCOOP and welcome.

Kirk R.