PDA

View Full Version : DRIVING to play poker

06-27-2002, 02:45 AM
Many posts on RGP and 2+2 on folks, who play in California and in Nevada. Would be interesting to hear some stories on how many trips you've made, and how frequently? Also, have you ever driven all the way, didn't play, then drove back home? I once flew into Vegas, checked into Stardust, then drove a rental car to Hollywood Park. I stayed in there for about 72 hours (with some occasional napping in the car), then made it back to Vegas, just in time, for my flight back east.

06-27-2002, 04:44 AM
Also, have you ever driven all the way, didn't play, then drove back home

Today, I walked to the Mirage only to find that there wasn't a 20-40 game running. So, after deciding not to play 10-20, I walked back home.

This story sounds boring even to me. Is this what you were looking for? /images/ohwell.gif

06-27-2002, 07:23 AM
I guess I must have been about 26 or 27, I drove down to Artichoke Joe's like every other day.

There was a new security guard standing in a new spot, when I looked at the newspaper machines.

He caught my eye, so I looked back at him. So of course, he asked for my over-21 ID.

I didn't have any license so, for the first day in like three weeks, I didn't play poker.

I called him a lazy bastard, pointing out that who looks at you is no way to profile people.

You ever see one of those fidgety people who really wants to say something to you?

The moment you glance his way, it's like you gave him some sort of non-awkward entry, the jerk.

Incidentally, two years later I was turned down to buy cigars by an even lazier bastard.

Actually, that happened about 10 times, from tobaconnists to gift shops to Safeway stores.

One time I was stuck all night in the Vegas airport, broke and hungry, because a red pen.

All I needed to get out of there was a red pen. The one guy who had a red pen wouldn't lend.

Say, if you're ever bored waiting to be seated, you should bring a printout of this story.

eLROY

06-27-2002, 10:52 AM
Why didn't you just play at the Mirage or the Bellagio? Why did you have to force yourself to drive 4 hours to L.A. when you coulda just taken a 10 minute cab ride within the Strip?

06-27-2002, 11:07 AM

06-27-2002, 11:48 AM
What was the temp?

06-27-2002, 12:23 PM
eLROY,

I was the man with the red pen that night and took perverse pleasure in denying you a proper exit from the smoking lounge at McCarren airport. Come to think of it I used to work security at Artichoke Joe's years ago so you must have been that scraggly hippie with a bad attitude and no ID who gave me all the crap. After that I moved to New York where I took pleasure in ID'ing gutless bastards such as yourself for tobacco products. Hey, weren't you trying to buy some butane and tin foil that night as well?

I am your worst nightmare eLROY, wherever you go I will be there to deny your pleasures and legal suicide tobacco products. Self termination is your only escape but if you required a red pen for that I would still deny your request!!

All in jest,

Jimbo

06-27-2002, 01:06 PM
Why would you call the security guard lazy for checking your ID? Wouldn't the lazy thing to do be to just ignore you? And how can you drive a car without a license?

06-27-2002, 03:21 PM
He was lazy because he was hesitant to ask, until I looked at him.

The more random your reason for asking, the more people you will have to ask.

But, he was too lazy to ask more people, or even enough to get a feel for asking.

It's his job to learn his job, and he hadn't. He wasn't stopping anyone under 21.

Finally, he was lazy, because trying to consider whether I was actually 21 - rather than just asking me because our eyes met - could only hurt or help Joe Sammut, and had no impact on his life, at least less impact than bothering someone hostile.

eLROY

06-27-2002, 04:38 PM
Really damn hot. I think it was a little over 100 degrees. I take a route which allows me to walk through Barbary Coast, Flamingo, and Harrahs so a good chunk of my walk was air conditioned.

06-27-2002, 11:25 PM