PDA

View Full Version : How to handle big hands UTG, 1st hand of SnG

nuclear500
08-06-2004, 08:57 AM
Played in a 'stars SnG the other night, first hand was dealt AK suited. Was thinking to myself, this sucks first hand I don't want this.

Nonetheless, I played it 'correctly' and bet 5xBB. Too many people recently have been limping on the first hand and I did not want anymore then one person calling. Unfortunately (fortunately?) nobody called.

The second hand as BB, I was jealt Jacks and again was thinking this sucks.

I ended up folding them on the river (after raising pf, flop and turn) when the river brought a third club and a Queen.

TheCat
08-06-2004, 10:01 AM
With AK you want zero to one callers. If you make a 4 or 5 x BB bet at the first level you will often get three or more callers. At least you do in the 30$ games I play.
I make a pretty big bet here about 20% of my stack.
Never limp UTG with AK as this hand plays very poorly multiway but much better heads up.

I'm also raising big with JJ as you want to knock out Ace small, KQ,KJ, QT suited and the like. Some folk recommend limping with JJ hoping to hit a set, I prefer to raise.

Cleveland Guy
08-06-2004, 10:05 AM
I also hate this - huge hand, UTG, or UTG +1 on the first hand.

I'm not saying this is the BEST tactic - but on a lower limit buy in this has worked for me a couple times - I push all in.

I know it sounds silly, but I have been experimenting with this stragegy, and I doubt it would get you any vaule if you play a higher limit.

Anyways- I have done this like 4 or 5 times over the last couple of weeks. A couple of times it's just folded to me, which sucks, but oh well.

THe other times I get calls from very marginal hands - like A7, K10. People must think I'm trying to buy something early, and feel like I have nothing so they call.

It's great to double up on the first hand!!

Like I said - I'm sure it's not the best strategy around, but it's been fun for people to turn over crap that you have dominated.

And once again - I only think this could work at all on a lower buy in.

I just look at it - hey I made a $6 bet on AK suited

parappa
08-06-2004, 11:53 AM
I push with AA or KK on the first hand every time I get them. Usually I type something like "rarrrr!" or "double me up!" into the chat window. Someone almost always calls at the $5 level.