PDA

View Full Version : Raise AKs PF, 3-Flush/3-Straight Flop...Fold???

Unarmed
08-06-2004, 08:49 AM
Home Game
Blinds 1-2
Hero (CO)
Villain (Button) - Typical poor player

All fold to Hero who has A /images/graemlins/club.gifK /images/graemlins/club.gif and raises to $6. Villain calls and the blinds fold.

($15 - 2 players) Flop 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Acting first with 1 opponent after a PF raise I pot it basically 100% of the time, either on a semi-bluff or with a made hand. But this flop literally froze me. I checked, he potted it, I folded.

Weak or correct? I figure I'm getting a nice dose of reverse implied odds in most cases so why bother continuing. This may be an obvious fold, I'm not sure, it just goes completely against the way I typically play so I thought I'd post it.

Anyone bet here?
Also to those who pot the flop ~90% of the time after raising PF, what are some typical flops/situations that make up the 10% you don't?

SkippingGoat
08-06-2004, 09:07 AM
I think it's fine to slow down here especially if the button is a calling station that will call with any pair or diamond. I just don't think it's worth putting the money in the pot when you could be drawing dead or at best to 4 clean outs. The button can be pretty sure that that flop wasn't what you were looking for and may play back at you with almost any two cards. This is a good chance to earn some respect for future bluffs.

All that being said, potting it here probably isn't a bad play. This board probably didn't help the button either and he's probably not going to want to tangle with you unless he's got a fairly strong hand.

One common situation in which I usually don't bet the flop when I miss is when I have more than 2 people left to act behind me, especially in looser games. I'm simply too likely to get a caller and be stuck out of position on the turn.

schwza
08-06-2004, 09:53 AM
There's a 62% chance he doesn't have a diamond (37/47 * 36/46), or 38% that he does. If he thought his cards were big enough to cold-call with, there's a good chance he thinks his diamond draw is good enough to call with. If he's bad, he'll probably also call or raise with a 7 or an 8, and possibly even a 4, 5, or 6. I'd check/fold here. Against a passive player, you might get to check it down to the river and win with an A high.

Unarmed
08-06-2004, 10:29 AM
Given the flop is all mid-cards I'm also worried about a set here, though from my experience poor players would slow play that 99% of the time.

cornell2005
08-06-2004, 12:25 PM
i wouldnt go any further on the flop unless he is especially weak, as the pots not too big, he will call with alot of single diamonds, he may have an overpair, ect. id much rather auto bet others flops than this one.