PDA

View Full Version : Set of 7s - Bet, Checkraise, Check-call?

Peter Harris
08-06-2004, 08:05 AM
I was observing a friend's play on a SNG today and this hand came up. I was observing and made him for AJ given the limp and flop action; he told me afterwards his holding. I berated him, saying it was a correct slowplay opportunity.

Background: Hero is very tight. has played 2 hands out of 30. Button is a loosey goosey.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (6 handed)

BB (t740)
Hero (t690)
MP (t1390)
CO (t930)
Button (t3075)
SB (t1175)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif, 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif.
Hero calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: (t225) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets t60</font>, CO folds, Button folds, BB folds.

Final Pot: t225 (won by Hero)

I pointed out that only 56 has a strong draw, everything else is nighon dead to the set. He argued that any ace would call him. I countered that given his image, people would fold assuming he was strong, so a check-call or check-raise was much smarter, especially given button's proclivity to bet.

Comments?

Regards,
Pete Harris

The Venetian
08-06-2004, 08:40 AM
I would agree with you...golden opportunity for the slowplay. With four opponents and, as you say, a loose button, someone won't be able to resist and will take a shot at this pot...maybe not on the flop, but almost certainly on the turn.

Given his current situation, I would check-call the flop, and if the flop is checked through, probably check the turn as well, looking for a check-raise opportunity. The Hero needs a double-up and this is about as good as you can ask for.

As to his assertion that any A would call, I don't know about that. However, I'm pretty sure that if he checked, most A's would bet out and a weak A (A-rag suited?) might wait until the turn to be safe.

He jumped the gun.

hummusx
08-06-2004, 09:36 AM
Depends on what level this was at, but at the lower tables I'd say any A would probably call or bet. The problem is if no one has an A almost everyone will fold. In this scenario, I'm probably going to check call, unless there is a bet and 2 calls in which case I'll probably raise and try to take the pot down right there. If it's checked around on the flop, I'll either bet out small on the turn or try again for the check-call/check-raise.

Peter Harris
08-06-2004, 09:43 AM
Level 3 (25/50), 4 already out. Not in dire trouble with 14BB, but blinds up to 50/100 next hand.

PH

hummusx
08-06-2004, 10:16 AM
Sorry by 'level' I mean buy-in. My answer was assuming it was something like a $10+1. At $50 or $100 or whatever it might be completely different.

poboys
08-06-2004, 11:44 AM
I'd never lead out here. Your bet may scare off a player's A with a weak kicker.

Also 23 is also a drawing hand.

I'd definately check-call the flop, and if nothing happens then lead out on the turn. If no one has an A, then they are not going to call your bet wo a made hand, so checking the turn will only get you into trouble IMHO.