PDA

View Full Version : is this why I should call??

Mikey
08-06-2004, 04:28 AM
I'm just thinking of something very simple like this problem, yet sometimes I find it too complex and I'm not sure what to do in the heat of the moment and feel that I may be making a mistake by folding.

I raise with A /images/graemlins/club.gifQ /images/graemlins/club.gif and I get called by the BB

The flop is 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif.

The BB bets into me.

Lets count the pot, there are right now 5 SB's in the pot, lets assume a $10-$20 hold'em game.

$50 in the pot.

Now here is the math part lets assume that both of my overcards if either one hits I'm a going to win this pot.

He has bet into me.

I have two overcards and the chances that one of them will hit on either the turn or river are (41/47) x (40/46) = 3.14 to 1, or quite simply .24% of the time.

Also I have a possible backdoor flush draw which if my calculations are correct are (10/47) x (9/46) = 23 to 1, or quite simply .0417% of the time.

Now if I add both of these percents together I will get .2815% which makes my effective odds 2.5 to 1 against winning my hand if I were to call $10 now and $20 on the turn to win and lets assume this opponent calls all bets on the river and the turn which are now

pot effective odds of $50 to $100 this would indicate a fold on the flop since my effective odds are 2.5 to 1 against winning this hand right??

Is my math correct?

Should a fold on the flop be in order if I suspect a straight forward opp.??

Mikey
08-06-2004, 10:27 AM
I'm just thinking of this now, calling would be the worst option because you may be faced with another bet on the turn, raising would be the best option where you'd get effective odds of $90 to $20 or 4.5 to 1.

Right?