PDA

View Full Version : BusinessWeek

Jason Strasser
08-06-2004, 01:48 AM
Howdy.

I worked for businessweek magazine this summer as an intern, and as a last hurrah they had me write an article about the growth of poker (TV and online) etc. Justin Bonomo (ZeeJustin) and David Ross are mentioned, and I think you all will like it.

The story is on pg.99 of the issue that will be on newstands today (friday), and the cover of the article is on global warming. It should be availabe free on the internet next week... But I reccomend that you all should pick up a copy, even though it is fairly basic and meant for your average joe.

-Jason

BottlesOf
08-06-2004, 10:15 AM
Hey Jason,

I bought the issue with Ken Chenault (sp?) on the cover. I looked for your article and couldn't find it, but the mag. kicks ass. I'm not THAT interested in business, but found several articles in it that intrigued me. I credit this to your fine internship skills /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Any way, I'll pick the new one up when I get a chance

turnipmonster
08-06-2004, 10:41 AM
congratulations on being a published writer! I'll pick up a copy for sure.

--turnipmonster

Schneids
08-06-2004, 02:22 PM
I'm sure it's not a big deal if you didn't know this and happened to call him David Ross in the article but Ross is David's middle name I do believe. And if you didn't, then hey ignore this. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I didn't know you were an aspiring journalist too. It'd be cool to talk to you sometime about your interning experiences this summer, since next Summer I hope to land a gig like you just had.

I'll be looking for the article!

Jason Strasser
08-06-2004, 03:17 PM
David Ross is the name he uses in the poker world and is the name he plans to use if/when he publishes a book about his career online. Therefore it was appropriate to use Ross, the same way it is appropriate to use Moneymaker.

-Jason

Jason Strasser
08-06-2004, 03:18 PM
Haha,

Sorry about all that. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The cover this time is a morbid looking thing on global warming. The article is waaaay in the back, and short, but it took me so damn long to write. I had to dumb it down over and over and over before it ever got anywhere near publishing.

-Jason

Ulysses
08-06-2004, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
David Ross is the name he uses in the poker world and is the name he plans to use if/when he publishes a book about his career online. Therefore it was appropriate to use Ross, the same way it is appropriate to use Moneymaker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dumb question, I guess, but Moneymaker isn't Chris Moneymaker's real last name? Really?

imported_Chuck Weinstock
08-07-2004, 02:07 PM
My subscribers copy came today and your article was the first thing I read. (Actually I probably won't finish this issue for a while...I have a nice stack of magazines built up due to travels.)

You did a great job of explaining the game and it's attractions (and online play) in a relatively short article. I'd quibble with the books you chose to highlight (I'd probably not include the Theory of Poker in a list of introductory books...Hold'em Poker is fine of course) but that's really just a quibble.

And thanks for the highlighted mention of twoplustwo.com!

Best Regards,

Chuck

P.S. What are your journalism goals?

djack
08-07-2004, 07:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Dumb question, I guess, but Moneymaker isn't Chris Moneymaker's real last name? Really?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, are you serious? There was such an emphasis made that Moneymaker was his real name.

fsuplayer
08-08-2004, 01:04 AM
No, I am pretty sure that in fact his last name is NOT Moneymaker.

gergery
08-08-2004, 07:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No, I am pretty sure that in fact his last name is NOT Moneymaker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, so what's Raymer's real last name.....

djack
08-08-2004, 03:34 PM
I find that odd, since he is money600 on stars, and they always made a big deal about how moneymaker was his real name.

Jason Strasser
08-09-2004, 12:33 PM
Chuck,

I'm glad you liked it. I guess you have a fair quibble with my choice of introductory books, but I still think the theory of poker is a very important book that can be used as an introductory book (it was for me).

Journalism is a kind of hobby for me, like poker. I'm an editor for the sports section of my school paper (The Duke Chronicle) which is a pretty good daily college newspaper, but I do it only for fun really. Whether it will turn into a career I have no idea.

Anyhow, thanks for the kind comments on the article.

-Jason

Jason Strasser
08-09-2004, 12:39 PM
I actually have no idea. The thing I was trying to get across was that it doesn't matter if his real name is Moneymaker, he can still use it (even if it were fake). The same thing goes with Ross.

-Jason

David Sklansky
08-12-2004, 12:47 AM
Nice article. Thanks For the plugs- and for your participation on this forum.

El Dukie
08-12-2004, 01:08 AM
How're things going at the Chronicle these days? I was sports director at WXDU back in the early 90s, and I would tap a lot of the Chronicle sports guys to do color for football and basketball games. Seth Davis did a couple of broadcasts with me, and look where he wound up! Though I should add it's due to his own talent, not mine. Though as I recall, he didn't pick us to make the Final 4 this year. I think that shows what spending too much time looking at the Swimsuit issue does to your basketball knowledge....

TaxGoddess
08-12-2004, 01:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
(The Duke Chronicle) which is a pretty good daily college newspaper

[/ QUOTE ]

Afraid I must quibble, I always thought that Dook's paper was a rag compared to The Daily Tar Heel. Then again, I am a bit biased as a UNC alumna /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I will check out the article, even if you are a Dookie.

Go Heels!

El Dukie
08-12-2004, 01:13 AM
Just remember: Nobody likes a Heel. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

TaxGoddess
08-12-2004, 01:18 AM
LOL. And you should remember, everyone knows that Coach Krzyzewski has a pact with Satan. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Jason Strasser
08-12-2004, 01:38 AM
The chronicle is great. Not too sure if we have any seth davis' in the making though.

As for us making the final four, I have my doubts like Seth. UNC (as unfortunate an institution as it is /images/graemlins/laugh.gif), Wake, and Tech all look very strong, and that's just the ACC. Should have some fun times hopping around in Cameron though and in the press box.

-Jason

Jason Strasser
08-12-2004, 01:39 AM
Haha. To be fair, you guys have a nicer layout then ours, and perhaps better university news and such... However your sports section is far inferior /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

-Jason

BottlesOf
08-12-2004, 01:43 AM
I enjoyed the article. I could have done without the plugs /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

When you gonna be at NYPC? I expect to square off with you at the final table on Sunday.

Jason Strasser
08-12-2004, 01:46 AM
David,

Thanks for the kind words. It would be unfair in my book to mention online poker and omit the presence of these boards.

Mason Malmuth
08-12-2004, 03:26 AM
Hi Jason:

I just read it and also thought it was well done and very much appreciate your comments about us.

Best wishes,
Mason

playerfl
08-12-2004, 09:56 AM
cool article
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_33/b3896121_mz070.htm

Jason Strasser
08-12-2004, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the link. The online version is slightly abbreviated I believe.

Wahoo91
08-12-2004, 10:06 PM
I have been a subcriber of Business Week for over 15 years, and I enjoyed this article. How did you decide to use Justin in your article?

Rob Blackburn
08-12-2004, 10:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(The Duke Chronicle) which is a pretty good daily college newspaper

[/ QUOTE ]

Afraid I must quibble, I always thought that Dook's paper was a rag compared to The Daily Tar Heel. Then again, I am a bit biased as a UNC alumna /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I will check out the article, even if you are a Dookie.

Go Heels!

[/ QUOTE ]

I was about to say the same thing, though I can also assert that XDU is no XYC.

Go Heels!

Wahoo91
08-12-2004, 10:37 PM
BTW, everyone knows that the University of Virginia is the class of the ACC in every way...

Equal
08-13-2004, 03:24 AM
Great article! It seems to summarize the current poker situation very well.

Annie_B
08-13-2004, 11:41 AM
Very good! Easy-to-understand style. Any person unfamiliar with poker can catch the main idea with no hudles. I think you had to have plenty of work to do before the publishing. I have many friends in journalistics...And all of them are arguing over their editors... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jason Strasser
08-13-2004, 04:05 PM
I think his story is extremely unique. There is a lot more to him then what was published. His family situation and his general outlook on life are very individual.

Plus, he's 19 and he's made nearly six-figures his first year playing cards online. That's nasty.

-Jason

Sponger15SB
08-13-2004, 07:14 PM
yeah, but he isn't [censored] compared to onlinechamp...hehe

ok but seriously, cool that this got published, although i am bummed i can't see the whole article, anyone subscribe to business week and have incredibly good typing skills?