PDA

View Full Version : the unimportant street

05-13-2002, 06:33 PM
In a loosey-goosey 30-60 game I pick up Jh-Jd in the big blind.

limp, limp, limp, button raises, SB calls, I call, limpers call. 6 people total see the flop.

Flop: Jc-7c-2d

SB checks (I have the impression SB takes alot of money from the game), I bet in order to make a monster pot. one person folds everyone else calls.

Turn: Jc-7c-2d-(5c)

SB checks, I check, everybody checks. Sh**t.

River: Jc-7c-2d-5c-(Kh)

SB bets.

what's your play? comments on earlier streets appreciated.

05-13-2002, 06:58 PM
I would call to try to get 1 and maybe 2 overcalls and, at the same time, avoid being 3 bet by the SB. It's doubtful anyone would call 2 bets cold on the river unless they had KJ specifically(there are no flushes behind you) and the possibility of the solid-playing SB slowplaying a flush(and missing a turn bet) is very real. BTW, I would bet the turn and call if anyone raised me. You cannot give the single clubs out there a chance to draw out for free(esp. in a pot that is semi-large) and at the same time, you still have quite a few outs for close to the nuts.

DN

05-13-2002, 07:07 PM

05-13-2002, 07:49 PM
I'm assuming you were going for the check-raise on the turn? Would any hands be betting besides a made flush? Probably not

Assuming only a made flush would bet, would you check-raise a hand you know is ahead of you (even if you have 10 outs) - especially if you think he might reraise? You'd be getting at least 4-1 if only the two of you stayed in, but betting out and calling his raise is better - you'd be getting 5.5-1 if only you two stayed in, plus it's much more likely you'd have other people staying in too, giving you even better odds.

Also, trying for the check-raise could end up giving a free card to all the flush draws (just like what happened). Betting right out still gives them correct odds to draw (10-1 or better) but it's much better than giving them infinite odds.

In this hand, I'd call the river. If you raise, you'll get reraised if the SB made his flush on the turn (and was trying to check-raise you). The only hands that you can beat that I can see the SB calling with would be KJ or K7 (I think he would have bet or check-raised a set or J7 on the flop). Everything else he'd probably fold. Also, if you call, it's likely anyone who hung around with the Kc would also call.

05-14-2002, 03:35 PM
I raised on the river. When everyone checked on the turn I felt strongly that no one behind me had a flush.

Now when the SB bets I have to put him on many hands that I can beat. My thinking was that this was a thin value raise as I would only get raised back if SB has the nuts. I just could not imagine SB checking the nuts on the turn but that's exactly what he did. sneaky SOB.

I was relating the hand to a friend and he was wanting to know exactly what was going through my mind when I checked the turn. I just figured I was on a draw because that's the kind of game it was.