PDA

View Full Version : 9/9 heads up

MrLob
08-06-2004, 12:41 AM
in double shootout for Wcoop main event entry i got 9/9 on the button heads up.
Both of us had around 6500 chips with 200/400 blinds. i raised 400 (looking for action). There had been very few reraises with nothing so i was not that worried about getting played back at if the opponenent had nothing. my opponent went all in over the top of me and i called. he had 10/10 and won. i had played extremely well prior to this hand and was very disappointed with this play. in hindsight, i had to assume i was probably a coin flip, best case, and i feel i could have picked a much better spot than calling an all in to try and win the table.
does anyone feel i played this hand well or does everyone agree that it was a poor play?
overplaying medium pairs in this type of situation seems to be a leak in my game so i appreciate your feedback.

ProfLupin
08-06-2004, 01:33 AM
I'm by no means a tournament or no limit expert, but I'll give you three reasons why I think you fold this.
1. Like you said already you probably have a coin flip unless you're dominated.
2. You haven't invested a lot of chips yet so it doesn't seriously hurt your overall chance of winning to fold here.
3. By folding here you can set your opponent up with another minimum raise. I've won a lot of HU situations in sit-n-go's by min-raising and folding to a reraise 2 or three times with mediocre hands. My opponents think they can push me off the pot any time I min-raise and I win by min-raising AA or KK later.

naphand
08-06-2004, 04:52 AM
You have to fold any pair JJ or less here, and quite possibly QQ too.

Stop calling all-in bets with less than premium hands without a very strong read on your opponent's play (if he is raising most hands all-in here, then it is correct). If he does this with any good A then you are in a coin flip situation, and it's your choice to decide to accept a marginal advantage PF or try whether you can outplay him over more hands.

I have lost a number of tourneys playing hands like this, I put it down to impatience and/or talking myself into believing he is bluffing. The large majority of the time I have been wrong. nh but not enough to call here IMO.