PDA

View Full Version : Back to back hands: thoughts?

FrankLu99
08-06-2004, 12:17 AM
2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif. UTG+2 posts a blind of $2.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 (poster) checks, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+2 folds.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.25 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.25 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB shows Ad Jc (high card, ace).
Hero shows Kc As (one pair, kings).
Outcome: Hero wins 8.25 BB. </font>

-----------------------------------------------

2/4 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, Hero calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds, BB folds, MP3 folds.

Final Pot: 2.75 BB

I am not sure how I was cutoff twice, maybe the SB in the first hand left!? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Evan
08-06-2004, 12:31 AM
Why slow down on the turn in hand 1? are you afraid of straight/random 2 pair? If BB made either of those hands I think he'd check-raise. I say keep pushing on the turn and river.

Hand 2 is table dependant. If you think the table is tight enough that this play could work then it's a good move. Most 2/4 tables don't fall into this category. I usually would not try to move 3 other players off thier hands for a single bet on the flop.

08-06-2004, 12:45 AM
Hi Frank. I can tell your kinda knew to 2+2 ways. You gotta think more aggressive and start milking the pots you should be the one with the edge in pot equity.
Hand 1 - Raise the turn.

Hand 2 - Raise pre-flop. Good flop bet. Tougher, however, after not raising and allowing the blinds to come in. No one called in this situation because you were lucky and no one had anything.

Evan
08-06-2004, 12:49 AM
If you were planning to bluff at a ragged flop than I agree that you should have raised PF.

FrankLu99
08-06-2004, 01:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why slow down on the turn in hand 1? are you afraid of straight/random 2 pair? If BB made either of those hands I think he'd check-raise. I say keep pushing on the turn and river.

Hand 2 is table dependant. If you think the table is tight enough that this play could work then it's a good move. Most 2/4 tables don't fall into this category. I usually would not try to move 3 other players off thier hands for a single bet on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hand 1:
yes I was afraid of a random 2 pairs or a straight. Occasionally people bet into me when they hit their draw. I thought that it was one of those times (bad guess eh?) Normally I would raise but I had not seen the guy play too many hands or get out of line with his bets.

If he was bluffing/semibluffing I get 2 bets (1 on the turn and 1 on the river or 2 on the turn 0 on the river)
If he thought his hand was good even though it wasnt I would get 3.
If he did indeed have me beat then I lose 4 big bets (if I cannot lay it down)

To me, he could also check raise w/TPWK or bet into me with TPWK. If he did indeed have TPWK it is possible that he would just call me down instead of betting into me. Who knows what he was thinking.

For hand 2:
If I raised preflop would that make my opponents more pot commited? I did not plan on stealing a flop of rags but when everyone checked to me but I thought my image from the last hand may get people to fold.

Sidenote: also for hand 1 i was thinking about raising the river in case he was on a stone cold bluff but I just could not get it out of my mind that he had somehow turned me.

felson
08-06-2004, 06:18 PM
Hand 1: often raise the turn here; he could easily have picked up a draw. Calling down is okay, but don't do it all the time.

Hand 2: I raise preflop here, although I probably do it too much. Betting the flop is fine in late position with overcards and backdoor flush draw.

Keep it up Frank, your play is getting better!!

felson
08-06-2004, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Sidenote: also for hand 1 i was thinking about raising the river in case he was on a stone cold bluff but I just could not get it out of my mind that he had somehow turned me.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's bluffing, what does raising the river buy you?

-- Are you looking for a three-bet bluff? Unlikely.
-- Do you not want to showdown TPTK? I don't think this is worth much.

I only like the river raise if you think he'll pay off with a worse hand.