PDA

View Full Version : The Sklansky All-In System

RPatterson
08-05-2004, 10:38 PM
Have any of you tried it? I tried doing the "improved system" in a turbo stars sit-n-go and finished 2nd. It was hard at times to calculate the math before my time was up but it seemed surprisingly strong. I did win one all-in coinflip durring the middle and another non-important one later. Once I won the first coin-flip it seemed like smooth sailing.

Who else has tried using "the improved system"?

Zaebos
08-05-2004, 10:46 PM
What is The Sklansky All-In System?

eastbay
08-05-2004, 10:48 PM
Lots of people have reported on using it here, and almost invariably they conclude it is a terrible strategy for online play. The players are too loose.

eastbay

RPatterson
08-05-2004, 10:49 PM
Basically you take your stack, or the next biggest stack if your the largest, divide it by the amount of the blinds, multiply that by the number of players yet to act, multiply that by the number of callers +1.

There is a list of hands you go all-in with based upon the number this formula yields. You just go all-in or fold pre-flop.

RPatterson
08-05-2004, 11:35 PM
Well I finished out in the 2nd one and 1st in the 3rd one. So in this 3 tournament sample the system is kicking ass so far lol.

RPatterson
08-06-2004, 12:07 AM
4th, out of money.

Zaebos
08-06-2004, 01:58 AM
where can i find the list of hands and more information on the system. Is it in TPFAP?

RPatterson
08-06-2004, 02:09 AM
It's in TPFAP.

RPatterson
08-06-2004, 04:24 AM
I've played 9 turbo sit'n'go's now and finished 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Since Stars only seats 9 players that is breaking even excluding the juice.

I was surprised by the amount of trash I was advised to go all-in with when the blinds go to 50/100 and above.

There were some drawouts on both sides but throughout the 9 tournaments I was never dealt KK or AA, in fact the only hand I ever got called with that I wanted action on was my QQ and it lost to TT. Perhaps if I was dealt AK, AQ and large pocket pairs more often (or at all) throughout the 9 tournament sample the system would have done more than break even.

Now that I think about it more, I really ran card cold those 9 tournaments. The system must finish another 9.

Phill S
08-06-2004, 06:00 AM
this is certainly interesting.

by the way, i tried it a few time on multi-tables, what i found was the easiest method is to put all the calculations into a spreadsheet which you run in the background.

therefor you change seat, stack size and limpers, the sheet comes up with your number, and a table next to it showed me the hands to push on.

it did quite well, got me to a couple of final tables in the few times i used it, however i never touched it when it came to sit and goes.

the one adaption i made (and i think you need to take a step further) is to increase the hand requirements for a push. they were designed with the WSOP big one in mind, ie people wont call your all in with ATs and such trash.

good luck with the system, personally id choose learning the game and the skill with it, but if you can get the systrem to work then good on ya.

Phill

sammy_g
08-06-2004, 01:13 PM
Do you still have the spreadsheet?

AliasMrJones
08-19-2004, 07:14 PM
I also have used it, though it was on UB, and found it to be interesting to play with, but not a good long-term strategy. (Or at least, "my" game seems to do better than "the system" did.) It was interesting to see what it decided to go all-in with in what situations and what effect sporadic extreme aggression had. I also made a spreadsheet and still have it. I've offered it to folks here previously. Send me a PM if you want it.

Phill S
08-20-2004, 06:09 AM
apologies, didnt see this reply.

i dont, but you wont need mine now anyway thanks to mr jones

Phill

parappa
08-20-2004, 06:25 AM
I've been enjoying using this in a daily freeroll. It's really fun to go all-in with 65o or something when it tells me to.

Of course, what everyone else is saying is right--it doesn't work because the players are too loose. The hands I get called with using the system I wouldn't even call a raise with, much less a push.

Perhaps you modify the key number by multiplying (number of limpers + 1) * 2.

Anyway, it's a bit of fun, but the serious question for anyone who's good at MTTs and has used it, is "does the increase in aggression suggested by the system roughly equal your own increase in aggression?" or something like that. I'd be glad to know the answer.

MikeGuz
08-21-2004, 01:09 AM
Interesting - NOT.

There is no silver bullet in poker, but it is fun looking for one isn't hope it don't break you.

Phill S
08-22-2004, 08:39 AM
actually the system is pretty good.

al i did is was increase the required hand holdings that corresponded with your magic number and it made me some cash (i once ran it on a freeroll and it was my first final table in a freeroll ever).

however, like ive said, on a single table format, i dont believe it can work, not long term anyway.

Phill