PDA

View Full Version : Guaranteed 10K at Pacific--hand question

ghostface
08-05-2004, 10:26 PM
about 10 minutes in i have 1200 chips and am dealt KK:

Edit: Blinds are 15/30
UTG raises about 150 (he has about 800 chips)
I reraise the minimum
he pushes

what should I do??

durron597
08-05-2004, 10:33 PM
What are the blinds?

MrX
08-05-2004, 11:31 PM
knowing pacific call..by the way I hate the min reraise preflop here.

ghostface
08-05-2004, 11:35 PM
Should I have pushed in hopes he folds?

Percula
08-06-2004, 12:26 AM
Considering the way that game goes you are most likely up against A(x) or A(face) or less likely a lessor pair.

Based on that I push with QQ KK AA at this stage of this tournament and take the coin flip. If you are not at about $T10K by the end of the first hour (which means winning a couple of these) you are not likely to finsh well into the money.

Expect to get called by more than one person...

ghostface
08-06-2004, 12:55 AM
Well he pushed I called and was left with 342.

He turns over AJ of spades and proceeds to get three spades to beat my kings. Thats my story in this tournament. I've finished third, 35th and in the 300's countless times because of these horrible beats. My AA's have been beaten on three occasions. I guess its just the fact that the ppl at Pacific Poker are loooooose.

MLG
08-06-2004, 09:41 AM
The bad beat police are very good at sniffing out bad beat stories disguised as help questions...........they will find you.

ghostface
08-06-2004, 10:20 AM
Haha, I know I make this sound like a bad beat story. I often have problems with these Multi Table tourneys early on because I dont know what kind of playing strategy to adopt to gain the most chips and hang on for the later rounds. I guess I just have to be more aggressive in the future with KK because if I run into AA well thats just my luck.

Thanks for the help

nsj
08-06-2004, 11:12 AM
KK is a monster, especially in that tournament where you often terrible play and open raises from early position with TKo, JQo, or worse, especially in the first hour.

I'd make it 500 to go, and call if (when) he pushes.

BAD BEAT POLICE
08-06-2004, 12:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well he pushed I called and was left with 342.

He turns over AJ of spades and proceeds to get three spades to beat my kings. Thats my story in this tournament. I've finished third, 35th and in the 300's countless times because of these horrible beats. My AA's have been beaten on three occasions. I guess its just the fact that the ppl at Pacific Poker are loooooose.

[/ QUOTE ]

I SAW THE BAD BEAT POLICE SYMBOL FLASHED IN THE SKY (A LA BATMAN) AND REALIZED THAT I WAS NEEDED.

GHOSTFACE:

<font color="blue"> [b] PEOPLE HAVE 1 OF 2 REACTIONS TO YOUR BAD BEAT STORY:

1. THEY DON’T CARE.

2. THEY ARE HAPPY.

PLEASE POST YOUR BAD BEAT STORIES AT www.RIVEREDAGAIN.COM (http://www.RIVEREDAGAIN.COM) AND QUIT CLUTTERING UP MY FORUM.

-BAD BEAT POLICE

P.S. YOU OWE ME $1. /images/graemlins/cool.gif
</font>[\B]

SossMan
08-06-2004, 12:14 PM
easiest. push. ever.

and don't post bad beats please. nobody cares, and the BBP will find you.

edit: looks like she just found you...congrats. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

papawawa
08-06-2004, 12:35 PM
Let me disclaim by saying I'm not very good at NL tourney's. As I understand it, if someone pushes all in early in the tournament, even if you are a HUGE favorite, you should seriously consider folding. Statistically, the more you call all-in plays, the more likely a bad beat will catch up to you, right? So I say fold and use your skills to catch up when given better oppertunities...

SossMan
08-06-2004, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Let me disclaim by saying I'm not very good at NL tourney's. As I understand it, if someone pushes all in early in the tournament, even if you are a HUGE favorite, you should seriously consider folding. Statistically, the more you call all-in plays, the more likely a bad beat will catch up to you, right? So I say fold and use your skills to catch up when given better oppertunities...

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to the forum,

Let me start off by saying that your first and last statements are contradictory. If you are "not very good at NL tourneys" then you cannot "use your skills to catch up".

Secondly, you should not pass up clearly +EV situations, even preflop, because you are scared of a bad beat. If that's the case, you should play another game besides hold'em. You will sometimes get all your chips in as a big favorite and still lose. That's why its called gambling. As much as we would like to take the luck out of the game, there is an incredible amount of short term luck involved in MTTs. It's a fact of life, nothing you can do to change it.
So, rule#1, don't give up EV situations, and until you get better at recognizing blind stealing and restealing opportunities, go ahead and take marginal EV situations. Take a coin flip early in the tournament...overcall two all in's w/ AKs early in a tournament. This will be your best shot at accumulating chips at your skill level.

Good luck and keep posting hands,

SossMan

ghostface
08-06-2004, 12:56 PM
Sorry for the "bad beat story." I didn't want it to sound like one and I don't need people to lament my loss with me. The reason I posted was to find out if I should push with KK. I know now so thanks for the advice. I'm relatively new at MTTs and just needed some theoretical advice.

SossMan
08-06-2004, 01:03 PM
Don't feel too bad...its a common mistake. Gives the bad beat police something to do besides Krispy Kreme'ing.

Percula
08-06-2004, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry for the "bad beat story." I didn't want it to sound like one and I don't need people to lament my loss with me. The reason I posted was to find out if I should push with KK. I know now so thanks for the advice. I'm relatively new at MTTs and just needed some theoretical advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

The advice you have received to date is excellent. Something else I would add. If you can make it thru the first mad, carzy hour of this tourament there is a very good chance you can money. Play for the premium hands in the game, i.e. trips, nut straights, nut flushes, top boats, etc.

The play there, at least during the first hour to two hours really reminds me more of the penny tables than a $15 MTT. Lots of people limping in, calling any raise with just about any two cards. People playing for cheap flushes, any face card, any ace. But if you are playing for premium hands you are going to beat these people more times than not.

I know how you feel, there have been a lot of times I have got my chips in when I had the best hand only to get sucked out by a 2 or 3 outer. Just keep playing the +EV hands and sooner or later the odds will catch up to you.