PDA

View Full Version : hand against a steamer

05-13-2002, 03:08 AM
20/40 he, same as last post.

so im running over the table and guy on my right is steamed because ive beat him every hand hes played, pretty much.

ive got 77 in cutoff, ton of limpers including steamer, i call, big blind calls, steamer 3 bets , i call , all call, over 20 small bets in pot.

flop something like 248 or something, checked to steamer, he bets, i peel one off, everybody folds to loose call to river with anything player who calls.

3 to the turn. (pretty good game, right?)

248 J. check, bet, call, call.

now im really putting the guy on two big suited cards. pot is totally monstrous (like what, 21 +3 +6 = 30 small bets)

river King. 248 JK.

now ive got to fold here, right? i was getting into the dont pay him off mode, when it went check check and my hand was good (steamer had 33 and loose goose had picked up a gutter on the turn (Q9).

so how many people would call the river here?

brad

05-13-2002, 06:40 AM
brad,

i'm going to try to save energy and try this no capital letters style but bear with me as it is my first time except for writing to ray zee.

i assume you raised the steamer on your right pre flop but it isn't clear from your post.

you might have wanted to raise on the flop with only one overcard to your pair. despite the presence of two overcards, a raise may have even been right on the turn given these two opponents.

generally speaking once this large field narrowed down to two opponents with ALL THAT DEAD MONEY you want to go to a showdown as often as possible. the fact that a steamer was lead betting makes it more important, as well as isolation plays on previous rounds.

yeah, i call the river.

regards,

rick

ps this no caps thing is fun.

05-13-2002, 06:57 AM
Wow, these guys play terrible. Over 20 bets in the pot on the flop and most of them fold to a single bet? How can they not have a pair, a gutshot, or at least 1 overcard on this board? Quite puzzling behavior indeed for a bunch of loosies. I would suggest raising on the flop, but it looks like your opponents are so unaware it wouldn't matter.

I think you should raise on the turn and go for a free showdown. If you're pretty sure you can't knock out Mr. CallToTheRiver even for 2 cold, then a call is probably OK. As for folding on the river, I don't think you would ever have the 95% certainty of being beat required to profitably fold when facing a bet from the steamer. You would have to pry the 7's out of my cold dead fingers to prevent me from calling a bet there.

05-13-2002, 06:38 PM
but then again I'm a calling station.

05-13-2002, 10:25 PM
yeah, i thought about raising the flop but there were five opponents behind me and really i was just thinking about trying to get to a showdown or hopefully spike a set.

also since the pot was so big i figured nothing fancy would work.

also i cant believe i even considered not calling the river, if it was bet. but in retrospect i think i could have paused, gotten a tell as to whether the super calling station was going to call the river, and if she wasnt then i would have had to.

brad

05-13-2002, 10:27 PM
'If you're pretty sure you can't knock out Mr. CallToTheRiver even for 2 cold'

yeah, she was the one i was worried about, once shes in past the flop shes in, no getting her out.

your probably right about raising for a free showdown (as opposed to knocking her out) though.

brad