PDA

View Full Version : Ways to shake a slump

aslowjoe
08-05-2004, 08:41 PM
For the past few months I have been trying to improve my game through this forum from asking questions and posting hands and many of you have helped me to improve my game. Never have I offered any advice as there are so many more qualified to give advice so I just mainly lurk. Lately I have been seeing a lot of post's about shaking a slump, that is something that I think I am qualified yo give advice.
I spent almost 20 years deriving a sustantial portion of my income from horse racing. You do not know the meaning of variance unless you play the horses. It is not unusual to goweeks without cashing a bet.It can drive your over the edge. Like poker, confidence is one of the most important factor in horse racing. These are some of the thngs I did to keep me mentaly sharp and fresh.

Planned vactions away even with when going good. Tough too walk away when your going good but you come back even sharper then ever when taking time off when your rolling.
Unplanned hiatus. When going bad take enough time off until you are chomping at the bit to play again.
Reread your favorite gambling book. I am talking one with stories of great wins or coloful losses. Andy beyers original book "Picking Winners" was my favorite, a lot of it about stories of the highs and lows of gambling and I would reccomend it even for poker players, just stay away from the math.
If I was betting $300 a race and I was in a slump I play more small action bets of $10 or so, the act of winning and cashing any amount can bet a great mental lift.
Quit the day with a profit even though you have more time to play. When you go to bed that night you just remeber that you won.
Help somebody else with there game. Going back to basics can sometimes provide clarity. Sometimes we overcomplicate things.

I hope these things can help some of you at some point. I appreciate all your help.
Joe