PDA

View Full Version : A9s How's my line?

SteveY
08-05-2004, 08:29 PM
Not sure if I played this right...

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. MP3 posts a blind of $0.05.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 (poster) checks, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, SB calls.

Flop: (14 SB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG calls $0.03 (All-In), UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (12.80 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(6 players, 1 all-in)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP3 calls.

River: (16.80 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 18.80 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 11.80 BB, between MP3, Hero and UTG.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: 7 BB, between MP3 and Hero.</font>

DJGroove
08-05-2004, 09:08 PM
Not sure I like the turn checkraise. What do you do if he 3-bets?

Pretty hard to put people on a hand when they play this passive.

SteveY
08-05-2004, 10:50 PM
My original plan was to wait for the turn to raise. I have top pair on the flop but if I raise, overcards have the odds to call. Unfortunately, MP3's flop raise kind of messed up my plans, as it bloats the pot. I tried to compromise by check-raising the turn to force the 2 other players to fold or call 2 cold.

On the turn, I'm not totally sure if I have the best hand or not. Basically I don't know what to take from MP3's flop raise. It could be a 9, it could be a set. But I think I have to raise his bet because if I do have the best hand I need to protect it from the other two players left in the hand.

If three-bet on the turn, I call down expecting to be beat. I think I could only get 3-bet by a set or a crazy two-pair, and against any 2-pair I have outs. :/

My play was influenced by Chris Daddy's sister's hand example from a day or 2 ago. :/ The difference is that I was the PF raiser. So if I raised on the flop I mightve been able to represent an overpair and get the people to fold anyway. That's what I'm wondering about...

Brain
08-05-2004, 11:18 PM
This pot is huge, even if MP3 doesn't raise and overcards are coming along anyway. I think you're ahead on the turn.

Clarkmeister
08-06-2004, 02:55 AM
You really should just go ahead and raise the flop here. You confront the whole field with 2 bets and while many will call, *some* will fold for 2 bets when they would have called for 1. There are times to wait til the turn, but in this spot with this action I'd go ahead and raise the flop.

Peter Harris
08-06-2004, 04:02 AM
agreed, and 9's are not a solid pair, with a lot of risky overcards. the flop raise is what i'd do.

Regards,
Pete Harris

HajiShirazu
08-06-2004, 08:22 AM
This isn't a bad play I don't think but I would probably 3-bet the flop. The reason is that you raised preflop out of the blind AND you can confront everybody with 2 bets, so many players will put you on the big pair and incorrectly fold two overcard hands thinking they are drawing dead. I can see an argument for playing it like you did though since it's a lot like one of those SSH hands, but you do also have the backdoor flush draw and ace kicker giving you chances to improve even if someone takes you down on the turn, so your equity is a little higher than in the tens hand.

chief444
08-06-2004, 08:31 AM
The turn check/raise I think was the best play in the hand. I can see the argument for waiting until the turn here but I think it's too risky mainly because you won't often have it play out as you hope, with several callers...no raise...and a SB bet again on the turn (even with a fairly ragged flop). The flop may be the best opportunity to give yourself some protection here. That being said, I think the turn check/raise was a good adjustment to how the flop played out.