PDA

View Full Version : You people SCREWED my game up!!!!!!

CLC
08-05-2004, 08:25 PM
There was a time when:

I did not know what position was.
I used to play ANY 2 suited cards.
I used to think that ANY 2 cards bigger than TEN were good
I used to think that ALL decisions should be made after the flop
I used to think that suited 2 gapper were GOOD
I used to think that suited 1 gappers were ALWAYS GOOD
I used to play ANY Ace
I used to think that CAUTIOUS PLAY was good
I used to chase draws to the river without thinking
I used to do many, many OTHER things

Then I STUMBLED onto this site. I started reading posts. I thought that JUST MAYBE there was something I could do better. The more I read, the more I began to understand that this game was complex. I had always thought that I was an OK poker player. I won SLIGHTLY more than I lost most often, roughly. But not much.

Now, my poker world is different. I read something here EVERY day that makes me think. I read posts that make me wonder WHY. Many for the right reasons, some for OTHER reasons. Sometimes I just think NO, No, NO. Sometimes I think, Oh I got it. Sometimes, I just think what? Bottom line is that I am now thinking.

I have been reluctant to post my thoughts for fear of appearing dumb. Today I read a post that made me think that I was ready to start posting my thoughts and LEARNING even more. (It WAS NOT the one I responded to.) So, I have decided that I will start replying periodically. My thinking may be flawed, but if so, I am certain that you will let me know. Worst case scenario is that I would say that I would BET, CALL, RAISE or FOLD and you say that would be STUPID. If I strongly disagree, well It’s my money and I can play it any way I see fit. For some reason I doubt that will be the case. LOL.

NOW FOR THE BOTTOM LINE:

I would just like to say THANK YOU to ALL OF YOU. My eyes are starting to open.

Dan Mezick
08-05-2004, 08:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would just like to say THANK YOU to ALL OF YOU. My eyes are starting to open.

[/ QUOTE ]

Question: just in the poker-playing activities, or in other areas of your day-to-day thinking?

TobDog
08-05-2004, 09:45 PM
Everyday!

It's amazing how what poker skills I have learned have helped me in my day to day life in problem solving, assesing risk, etc, etc. I second the original post, I came here after playing for a while but I believe at least half of my "real world" knowledge(as opposed to "book knowledge") from poker is from here.

Thanks guys

ddss6_99
08-05-2004, 10:44 PM
ohh man guys. You've all tought me so much about life. Now when I'm walking down the street and sense weakness I shout "ALLLLL INNNNNN" I just wanted to thank you guys. I'm not crying, I just have something in my eye