PDA

View Full Version : 80/160 hand - Correct to bet the turn?

05-13-2002, 03:05 AM
Button is in Seat 3...I am in seat 9. Everyone folds to me, I have two black queens. I raise. Everone else folds to the big blind. He has not played many hands, and has folded his blinds to raises on previous rounds. I have not played many hands...actually just 3 in the last half hour.

The flop is T54 - all diamonds (I have two black queens). He checks...I bet...he calls. The turn is 9 diamonds - four flush on board. He checkes. I bet. He calls.

The river is a 2c. He checks, I check. He turns over 33 with the 3 of diamonds to win the pot.

Possible mistake I made :

1. Maybe I should have checked the turn with plans to call any bets on the river (cause he may simply have a pair of tens or be bluffing).

2. Maybe I should have bet both the turn and the river, thus making it difficult for a low diamond to call the river.

Overall, I think playing it any of these three ways (betting turn/checking river ..... betting turn/betting river ..... and checking turn / calling river) are real close, and it simply becomes opponent specific (although in this case I didn't know my opponent well).

Any thoughts?

05-13-2002, 03:11 AM
heads up i think default a low flush will check call the whole way.

brad

05-14-2002, 04:58 PM
I think your play is correct. Not betting the turn means you will automatically let him come with his 3 of diamonds. It is a difficult call for him, at least it would be for me. Forcing our opponents to make difficult choices when we have position is what we suppose to do.

The check on the river is also the correct play. In heads up battle like this it is clear that he will call on the river if you bet (At least if he is a decent player as you describe). He cannot have any hope of improving his hand on the turn so he has decided that his 3 of diamonds may be enough to win and will certain call the river.

Sometimes we play correctly and just lose. Let me also say that I think his play was probably correct.