PDA

View Full Version : Hand from last night's PS 93+6 WCOOP #12 Satellite

durron597
08-05-2004, 07:29 PM
Hero in this hand has about T4,100, around 14-17th place or so, I don't exactly remember. Hero has a very tight aggressive table image, and hasn't shown down a hand other than AA, KK, or AK in a very long time. Big stack villian has about T20,000, and is tournament chip leader. 24 players remaining, top 4 get a seat, 5-11 get small money prizes.

Hero is in MP with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Blinds are T100/T200/a25. Two folds to the big stack (on your left), who limps. This is not unusual for him, he's done it a lot since he got to the table a few hands ago.. Hero limps behind, and there is one more limper. SB completes, BB checks. 5 to the flop.

Pot size: T1200. Cards: 4/images/graemlins/club.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif Not bad, top pair with a good kicker. Both blinds check, and big stack bets T400. Hero reraises to T1000, and big stack puts Hero all in. Hero calls.

Comments both preflop and on the flop appreciated.

cferejohn
08-05-2004, 07:45 PM
I muck this preflop unless I'm on the button. Maybe play it in the cutoff if the button is tight (i.e. I'm likely to have the button).

On the flop, once he pushes, the only hands I can really imagine that you are ahead of is JT or 9T of clubs. He could easily have JK, J9, 44, A9 of clubs, all of which you are behind to varying degrees (A9 of clubs is a favorite to beat you by the river).

In short, in all likelyhood you are probably way behind or close to even money (you aren't very far ahead of 9/images/graemlins/club.gifT/images/graemlins/club.gif or 2 club overcards). I'd fold to the all-in. Was this player very aggressive post-flop? If so, i'd consider calling. If limps alot, but then plays solid on the flop, I can lay this down.

durron597
08-05-2004, 07:50 PM
The big stack was solid but erring on the aggressive side post flop.

cferejohn
08-05-2004, 07:59 PM
I like your play better then. You might be up against A9o or JT, I suppose. Was the really weak opening bet typical for him? It looks kinds suspicious to me, like he was hoping you would do just what you did.

He could have QT as well, I suppose...

TheBong
08-05-2004, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hero in this hand has about T4,100, around 14-17th place or so, I don't exactly remember. Hero has a very tight aggressive table image, and hasn't shown down a hand other than AA, KK, or AK in a very long time. Big stack villian has about T20,000, and is tournament chip leader. 24 players remaining, top 4 get a seat, 5-11 get small money prizes.

Hero is in MP with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Blinds are T100/T200/a25. Two folds to the big stack (on your left), who limps. This is not unusual for him, he's done it a lot since he got to the table a few hands ago.. Hero limps behind, and there is one more limper. SB completes, BB checks. 5 to the flop.

Pot size: T1200. Cards: 4/images/graemlins/club.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif Not bad, top pair with a good kicker. Both blinds check, and big stack bets T400. Hero reraises to T1000, and big stack puts Hero all in. Hero calls.

Comments both preflop and on the flop appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Preflop my opinion is that the limp by the hero is not a good one. You already have the tournament chip leader in the pot - and you aren't there with a doubling hand.
You're risking chips from a mediocre chip position with a mediocre hand, with plenty of players still behind you from your middle position who if they wake up with a King or an Ace put you well behind.

As far as postflop - the chip leader may just be being aggressive with the bet, but more than likely because it's only about a 3rd of the pot, I'm expecting he's either way ahead of you and wanting a call - or he's drawing at the flush and trying to make it worthwhile to do so.

The reraise isn't terrible if you think you're best - but once he sets you allin I'd say it's a pretty easy fold.

All in all, I think it's more or less just best to wait for a better opportunity. It's only costing you $525 a round to play at that point - so it's not like you are in dire straits as far as being blinded off. Leave this one go next time in my opinion.

Regards,

Bong

durron597
08-05-2004, 09:30 PM
For those of you who may have notes on him, the Villian in this hand was TopPairs. Does this change anyone's answers? Also realize that Hero is now sitting on the left of an aggressive big stack with 5x his stack, perhaps this move is better given that he needs a stack big enough to be able to fight back? Note also that Hero was not the button in this hand, there were at least 4 more spots to speak after Hero (including the blinds).

One other thing, now that I've thought about it some more, I am wondering if the flop bet is too small. What is wrong with a flat call or a simple pushin right there? I mean, the pot is 1/3 your stack at that point, so if you are willing to call all-in why not raise allin?

durron597
08-05-2004, 10:55 PM
nm

Rick Diesel
08-06-2004, 09:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Two folds to the big stack (on your left), who limps. This is not unusual for him, he's done it a lot since he got to the table a few hands ago.. Hero limps behind,

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you limp behind if he is on your left?

Rick Diesel

durron597
08-06-2004, 04:13 PM
You are of course correct. I'm sorry, Big stack was on Hero's immediate right.