PDA

View Full Version : Interesting info on some pros..a lot of good Ungar stories as well

jwvdcw
08-05-2004, 05:47 PM
Cloutier's favorite type of music: Any Streisand song

If Phil Hellmuth could change one thing about the world: I would like everyone in the world to truly 'see the good' in everyone else. I believe that if that were the case, then we wouldn't have wars, murders and cruelty anymore. I am not denominational in my religous choices, but I believe that Buddha had it right when he told his followers, 'It is important to see the good in everyone.' I have a long way to go in my life to get to where I would like to be, but when I am at my best I am able to see the good even in some of the slimiest poker players out there. Sometimes it is hard, but I can always find something good in them eventually.

Chris Ferguson's favorite poker game: No Limit 5-Card Stud

For years, the second largest poker tournament in the world was Amarillo Slim's Super Bowl of Poker. At that time, every great poker player attended Slim's tournaments. Like the WSOP, the main event at the Super Bowl of Poker was a $10,000 buy-in No Limit Hold'em championship. Only one man in history captured titles at both the WSOP and the Super Bowl of Poker, and that man was Stu Ungar. And he won them three times each!

As great as Ungar was in No Limit Hold'em, he was better at gin rummy. Several months after he captured his third world poker title, Ungar said to me, "Some day, I suppose it's possible for someone to be a better No Limit Hold'em player than me. I doubt it, but it could happen. But, I swear to you, I don't see how anyone could ever play gin better than me."

Stu Unger: He went from being broke to a millionaire (and broke again) at least four times.]

Stu Ungar gambling stories are plentiful. My favorites are the golf stories, which are truly legendary. For example, the first time he ever walked on a golf course in his life, he lost $80,000! Incredibly, Ungar didn't even make it to the first tee before losing his money (to Jack Strauss - also an ultra high-stakes gambler and "Poker Great"). He lost it on the putting green! In the history of the world, do you think that has ever happened before or since? Stuey was something to see on the golf course. He looked like he was 15 years old, weighed 105 pounds, wore golf gloves on both hands, played from the ladies tee markers, and used a tee on every shot. (Yes, that's right. On every shot, including in the rough, sand traps, and water hazards). On most days, he couldn't break 100 (even with this spot), yet he gambled sky-high.

Varkonyi's favorite famous people(one doesn't seem to fit with the rest):It's a tie between Leonard DaVinci, Albert Einstein and Halle Berry.

Brunson's Ambition: To play poker until I'm 80 years old

Heimowitz: If you could change anything in the world, what would it be? Only women polititions run the world and only let men over 40 fight in wars.

McEvoy Started playing poker: On my grandmother's knee when I was 5 years old

Negreanu's Most respected poker players:

Jennifer Harman-for making it to the top of a 'man's' world
Allen Cunningham-for his ability and table demeanor
Ted Forrest-simply the best
Mickey Coleman-for playing his best game 365 days a year even though the money is insignificant
Harry and Jerri Thomas-for having a wonderful family with poker being an important part of their lifestyle at the same time

AtlBrvs4Life
08-05-2004, 06:25 PM
Good post. Where did you find all of this?

ohgeetee
08-06-2004, 12:16 AM
www.pokerpages.com (http://www.pokerpages.com)