PDA

View Full Version : Did i play this wrong or just got outdrawn?

bsiu5
08-05-2004, 05:17 PM
ok, EP(50) is fairly tight player .50Bb nolimit pokerstars.

i'm in MP(65). EP raises to $2, folded to me JJ. i call flop is J33. EP bets out $10. i reraise all-in. he calls turn is A. wins with boat to Aces.

Should i have not reraised all-in after his $10 bet. i think either way i would have called any bet down to the river but, for future hands would it have been better to call his bet and when the A came out bet hard. i was thinking he put me on the J with an ace or over pockets which he would have me beat. But, if he didn't have AA would it have been better to smooth call and hope his PP or over cards caught. or was reraising all in the best play and be happy w/ the pot, or him making a call and the turn and river decide fate.

Is it better to slow play this type of hand and hope he doesn't have QQ,KK, or AA, being his hand could improve from the turn to river. I know be me reraising pre-flop and him calling he has over pairs. What if he didn't and just had 2 overcards he probably would have folded and i would have just taken the pot, is that maximizing my chance of winning or is that playing risky.

SkippingGoat
08-06-2004, 08:28 AM
I just call. If he has a bigger pair he only has two outs. Letting him improve is usually going to help you here. If he has a 3, AJ, or a bigger pair he's going to fire again on the turn at which point you can get him all in. Or you can wait until the river (probably the better play when you really have him pot committed).

By slowplaying you potentially get more money out of a bad hand. A good hand is going all-in anyway so whether it happens on the flop or river doesn't matter terribly.

SpiderMnkE
08-06-2004, 08:35 AM
I think reraising all in on the flop makes it somewhat easy for him to get away from his hand.

I mean... if he has AA or KK... maybe even QQ.. they are not letting go ever... so you will get those chips at some point during the hand. If they have AK, KQ, other broadway combos... it might be good to give them a chance to catch up.

Waiting for the turn or river is more likely to get his entire stack. It's also not likely that he will be able to improve to beat you.

cornell2005
08-06-2004, 12:41 PM
forget about being scared that he has QQ,KK,AA. you love it when he has these hands. your decision on what to do needs to be entirely based on how to get the most money into the pot. playing any other way in this hand is too paranoid

mrjetguy
08-06-2004, 03:39 PM
A smooth call when you flop a boat like this is usually a good choice. In this particular situation the guy was stupid enough to call (yes it was a stupid call at the time), but most players of moderte skill will fold this hand quite often, which is NOT what you want.