PDA

View Full Version : new to HE old to poker

05-11-2002, 06:34 PM
Hi , I'm relatively new to the game of HE. I recently decided to expand my game base (thanks LJ) I have read Lee Jones book twice and Lou Kreigers More HE excellence twice and highlighted things I thought were important. I have also read Hold em Poker By D. Sklansky many times and both Roy Cooke's books at least once (sorry Roy), I have read the Fool Proof guide as well as TTOP both at least once. I have played on line free games using all this advice for quite a few hours.

the questions are: What should I study next? What kind of initial BR do I need for 2-4 to 4-8 Las Vegas games, What kind of per hour win average and variation should I expect in these games. How do the free play games (masters at PP and irc poker I use Greg’s poker client) compare to the actual low limit games I can expect to find in LV?

danken schon

Hoyal's Wraith

05-12-2002, 01:08 AM
Books:

1) Caro book of tells

2) Inside the Poker Mind

3) David Sklansky Holdem for Advanced Players

Software:

1) Wilson turbo texas holdem

Watch some online real money games to see how the game flows, i suggest that you try a small buy in tournament so that your used to how the game runs and see if you are discplined enough to through away hands such as KJ, JQ etc in early position. Variance depends on your game and your hourly rate. A good player can expect to get 1-2 Big Bets per hour ($8 - $16 in a 4-8 game), you need a bankroll of around 300 Big Bets offcourse if the games you play in are very loose and usually many people see the river than 500+ Big Bets upto 1000 will do if your going to play regularly. The free money games are ok, but they give you too many bad habits so try to stay away from them, by watching some online real money you can learn alot. Take Care and good luck,

-MJ

05-12-2002, 11:30 AM
Next book: "Inside the Poker Mind," by John Feeney. Invaluable.

Try to forget the free online games. They're good for learning the nuts and bolts (how the button moves, blinds, etc.), but you will learn exactly NOTHING about real strategy from these games. In fact, I'd say attention to what you "learn" in these games could easily set you back very far.

If you can bank it, skip over the absolute lowest limits and go straight to the $4/8. Look to move up until you don't feel comfortable any more. You'll know when it happens, believe me.

I wish I had moved up faster. There's nothing worse than spending a LOT of time convinced that "well, that's just the way the game is, I guess..." only to find out that just 15 feet away, over at the $10/20 game, there are people who actually look at their cards.

It actually makes the game a bit more manageable and less insufferably frustrating, believe it or not.

Good luck.

Dave

05-12-2002, 02:45 PM
MJ ,

thanks for your insights

$8000 to play a loose 4-8 ? I think thats kind of out there but I do believe in being well BRed I got $10K so BR shouldn’t be a problem.

I have had book of tells for years

TTHE, got it w/ sidewinder sid

reread Dr. Shoonmakers TPOP (it got much better reviews)

I have no problem tossing bad hands in early position I have good discipline Like I said

I've been a winner for years. I play a few too many than recommended in free play for the sake of huge implied pot odds. I feel the odds based decisions in HE are simple in comparison to those in stud.

THFAP is definitely on my to read list.

Hoyal's Wraith