PDA

View Full Version : Top Two on Increasingly Scary Board

BonJoviJones
08-05-2004, 01:52 PM
I have notes on the button saying "cally"

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls, BB calls.

Turn: (9.75 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, BB folds.

River: (11.75 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 13.75 BB

My big question is on the flop. I was fairly certain the button would bet if I checked. I was 40% sure he'd raise if I bet into him. Do I bet and hope he raises, thereby protecting my hand? Do I check to him and then raise the field to build a monster pot?

The turn card was awful. If someone had a big ten, an overpair, or a flush draw I'm now way behind. I bet because I figure the button doesn't need a better hand to call and BB hasn't shown any strength.

I think the river bet is pretty thin, but I think I'm happy with it.

btspider
08-05-2004, 02:11 PM
I like it. "cally" PF raising won't have an 8, so the river was a rag. "cally" may not bet the flop as often as you think when checked to.. and a free card here would be very bad. when its raised behind, you also allow your opponents to make more mistakes (gutshots calling, etc).

meep_42
08-05-2004, 02:20 PM
You want the raise behind you on the flop, both to try and scare out flush draws (who now only get 7:1, instead of 12:1 on their money) and to 3-bet your (likely) best hand.

Good bet on the turn to see where you're at, good bet on the river since he hasn't shown any strength, I figure the only reasonable hands you're behind are JJ and QQ.

-d

chief444
08-05-2004, 02:23 PM
pf...I think this is close to a raise. At least I raise this from CO often with some limpers but then I'm a LAG.

flop...good lead to give the button a chance to raise you. After that I 3-bet as well.

Good turn bet.

I actually check/call this river though...not because I think there's any chance he caught a straight, but because any overpair has you counterfeited and overcards I think are very unlikely to call but may be more likely to bet if checked to.