PDA

View Full Version : KQs in the BB

skirtus
08-05-2004, 01:40 PM
Blinds are going to 50/100 next hand. SB's raising standards are less than mine but not horrible. I felt a push was better than just a call here. I have a feeling the more experienced players would have folded this one. Any comments?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (6 handed)

MP (t157)
CO (t725)
Button (t808)
SB (t3790)
Hero (t740)
UTG (t1780)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, MP folds, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">SB raises to t275</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t740 (All-In)</font>, SB calls t465.

Flop: (t1480) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t1480) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t1480) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t1480
<font color="green">Main Pot: t1480 (t1480), between SB and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by SB (t1480).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Qh Kh (one pair, kings).
SB shows Ts Ah (one pair, aces).
Outcome: SB wins t1480. </font>

zephyr
08-05-2004, 01:49 PM
Fold. You're at best a coinflip, at worst dominated. There's lots of time left.

The Venetian
08-05-2004, 02:10 PM
Toughie there.

I'm OK with the all-in, since if I were the SB, I might raise you with any two here.

It's not the greatest situation (God, I hate KQ), but you're almost certainly going to have to double up in the very near future and this really is a pretty good spot...there's no reason to assume you're behind here.

I don't think you'd be that wrong by folding, but you would be taking the risk that a better opportunity won't present itself in the next 8-10 hands.

Fourth through sixth pay the same.

poolshark
08-05-2004, 03:42 PM
I agree completely with folding!
Here is my thought in general: if you think the raising standards of the guy is poor, wait for a much more convincing situation than KQ!

hummusx
08-05-2004, 03:45 PM
I fold. If the blinds were higher, I'd push, but at only $50 you still have a lot of time to catch another hand or steal against someone else when they don't think they have a good hand.

gergery
08-05-2004, 06:41 PM
A good experienced SB would make that play with any two cards as huge stack putting pressure on you, who is virtually in 3rd spot here.

Raising him all-in is bad – he is getting odds to call with a great many hands, and any hand he’ll raise with he will also call with. If you decide to play for all your chips here, then use stop and go by calling then pushing no matter what the flop.

If you put him on a decent hand (as you did), then fold is best as you will still have 6xBB, are almost in 3rd chip spot, and 3 of the other 5 are just as desperate as you are. Let them make a mistake first.

--Greg

patrick dicaprio
08-05-2004, 07:33 PM
this is a clear fold preflop with 25/50 blinds.

Pat

Pitcher
08-05-2004, 07:42 PM
Hi Guys,

I think this is a fold with one exception. If you are sure the SB will lay this down to an all, then do it. Otherwise, fold. That means you need a very very good read which you normallly don't have.

Pitcher

patrick dicaprio
08-05-2004, 08:53 PM
so why not tell people of you are sure that they will fold you should raise all in with 72 and getting called be damned! of course your advice is right but how can you ever be sure, and if you are wrong one time in 7 you will be out of the tourney.

Pat

async
08-05-2004, 10:41 PM
I think this really depends on the larger texture of the SB's play. Not only what his raising standards are, but how aggressive he is when stealing, how he responds to being reraised, and what this raise is compared to his normal -- because at T50 BB, T275 is a really large raise. T275 being what it is - pretty large, both to take the blind and relative to your stack, I think the right play is to usually fold. But again -- texture. It means a lot. If I've seen the SB fold to re-raises, I'd be more inclined to do it now. If I'd seen him raise with really marginal hands (say, QJ/JT), I'd be REALLY inclined to move in.

But that's why it really depends on past play. T275 is "too big", and so it either means you should REALLY move in, or you should REALLY fold. But I can't say without knowing SB better.