PDA

View Full Version : Driving 30/60 like a standard car the first time

05-11-2002, 03:06 PM
Online 30/60. The title is meant to refer to the extremely jerky line of play I used in this monster pot. I guess it goes without saying I don't believe that you should always play "flow", but is this going too far?

UTG limper, solid MP player raises, cold caller, then an atrocious playing cold caller, SB folds, and it's on me with Qd 7d. I figure that I'm getting 9:1, and that is exactly what I'd require to call here, so I call, and UTG calls. 5 players, 10.5 SBs.

Flop: Ad 10h 8d. I check, BB checks, preflop raiser bets, next player raises, atrocious player cold calls, I call, BB calls, preflop raiser 3 bets, next two call, I cap it, BB and rest call. 5 players, about 15 BBs.

Turn: 9c. I check, BB bets, preflop raiser raises, next two fold, I call, BB calls. 3 players, about 21 BBs.

River: 2d. I bet, BB folds, preflop raiser calls, and my flush beats his set of tens.

I realize that I played an incredibly jerky line on this hand, calling two cold and then proceeding to cap and then proceeding to check. What do you think of it? It was especially weird, since I actually improved on the turn by picking up more outs. Part of my thinking is that by checkin the turn, I would be able to to pretty squarely convince my opponents that I was on diamonds (which I was), which would give me some cover if I made a straight on the river. Also, I don't really have so many outs that there's good direct value in betting, and I'm certainly not going to make anyone fold for one bet. Whaddya think?

-Dan

05-11-2002, 04:12 PM
You played it exactly as I would have. You don't want to shut anyone out by 3-betting the first time, but once everyone is in for 3, capping it for value is beautiful. I might have led the turn, but checking and calling is fine too. Ni han sur!

05-11-2002, 04:21 PM
"Flop: Ad 10h 8d. I check, BB checks, preflop raiser bets, next player raises, atrocious player cold calls, I call, BB calls, preflop raiser 3 bets, next two call, I cap it,"

that's a shame you did that because it basically told everyone you were on a flush draw. although that probably wouldve been revealed at some point anyway given all the players in the hand.

you shouldve went for a checkraise on the river.

nevertheless nothing particularly wrong with the way you played it.

05-11-2002, 08:38 PM
Thanks, Clarkmeister. Maybe one day I'll understand the full meaning of "Ni han sur!", but until then I'll just accept the compliment.

05-11-2002, 08:42 PM
you shouldve went for a checkraise on the river.

I disagree with that. As you said yourself, my hand is pretty obvious, and so it seems extremely likely that he'll check behind. And even if he does bet for me, he still may well fold to a check-raise. I think betting is the play here.

05-11-2002, 09:55 PM
Played it well. Trouble with going for a check raise on the end is that it will be checked around.

05-12-2002, 04:54 PM
I think you played it well. I definitely like the check on the turn; I don't think there's any sense in betting here. While others have commented that you are making it obvious that you are on diamonds, I think it is important to remember that there aren't any prizes in holdem for being the best at camouflaging your hand; I don't think revealing that you are on a flush draw cost you anything here compared to playing more deceptively, so you did the right thing. Well played.