PDA

View Full Version : Tough spot, or grossly misplayed?

wayabvpar
08-05-2004, 01:18 PM
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB folds, Hero checks.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, MP2 calls, CO folds, Button calls.

River: (8.25 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero folds, MP2 folds.

Final Pot: 11.25 BB

I would have called 1 bet on the river, but the button raising suddenly on the river smelled a lot like a slowplayed boat to me. Any thoughts? Should I have led out again on the river? Or should I have been in check/call mode the whole hand? Any reason to fold earlier?

Sent
08-05-2004, 01:19 PM
Ack you should've led out again on the river, if it comes back to you 3-bet then you can consider folding.

-Sent

nolanfan34
08-05-2004, 01:29 PM
I also would have bet the river and folded to a 3-bet. While the check/calls from your opponents could certainly signal a weak 9 holding, I'd also expect them to fold the river with a lot of missed draws there.

The way the action played out, I'm guessing maybe the button was calling with a pair of twos the whole way and filled up on the river.

scotnt73
08-05-2004, 01:47 PM
i would have bet the river and then called it down.

flair1239
08-05-2004, 01:48 PM
I don't think there would have been a raise if you would have bet. I think they took your check as a sign of weakness. I think you would have gotten (2) calls and a showdown.

I guess one thing you could have tried, would have been checking the flop, and then checkraising if it came back to you. Might have thinned the field a little bit or told you where you were at. This may be debateable, but I don't think you would be to angry if it was checked through anyway.

chief444
08-05-2004, 02:14 PM
If you're going to check and then decide what to do based on the action, it should be done on the flop. You bet the flop and turn and were shown no resistance but then check the river when a total blank falls. Not a good plan.

Goon2
08-05-2004, 02:32 PM
I don't think anyone has a 9.

I think one of your opponents has Q-x, another has Q-2 (probably suited).

I think you lead the river and call the 3 bet, because you are likely ahead.

eric5148
08-05-2004, 02:38 PM
I would bet out on the river.

Don't mean to be a stalker here, but I was at your table yesterday and you raised preflop in UTG+1 with ATo. I think that's a bit too aggressive IMO.

wayabvpar
08-05-2004, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would bet out on the river.

Don't mean to be a stalker here, but I was at your table yesterday and you raised preflop in UTG+1 with ATo. I think that's a bit too aggressive IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are probably right...I was all over the map last night with my play (most of it bad). That is exactly the kind of feedback I come here for, so I appreciate it.

I lost 3 big pots in a row were I was ahead until the river within the previous 15 minutes; I think I got a little gunshy on this hand. I figured that with 2 callers on the turn, one of them likely had a 9 and didn't want to lose the other caller with a turn raise. In retrospect, I agree with the majority of you- I should have bet out on the river and folded to a 3 bet.

Thanks for the feedback!

nolanfan34
08-05-2004, 03:16 PM
So what was the showdown result?

wayabvpar
08-05-2004, 04:02 PM
Button took it down uncontested. MP2 made a stab with his bet, but folded to the button's raise (which in turn, caused me to fold). I set off the whole debacle by checking weak-tightly.

Goon2
08-05-2004, 04:55 PM
I think you went from, at worst, a 3:2 dog to win the pot to having no chance at the pot, and all for a few lousy bets.