PDA

View Full Version : Stuck In the Middle...

05-11-2002, 01:43 PM
8 handed online 30/60.

A complete crackhead maniac totally tilted worst player I've ever seen lunatic open raises. I swear that this gives absolulely zero indicaiton of what he might hold. It is a very good approximation to say that he has a completely uniform distribution of potential holdings. He has played 100% (and yes, I mean 100%) of the hand for the last hour, and his decisions to raise or limp are based on time. That is, he'll limp every hand for 15 mins, then raise every hands for 15 mins. I three bet from the cutoff with 10d 10c . My raises have been getting a lot of respect in general, but the button makes caps it this hand. The button is overaggressive prelflop, but that's about the only thing I know about him. Blinds fold, loony calls and I call.

Flop: 7d 2h 2d Looney checks, and I bet. My first question is whether this is a good bet. The looney will probably call two cold with basically any 2, so my leading doesn't give me a great chance to get it heads-up. So does this make it a bad lead? However, it may well give me some info about my opponents hands. The button raises and the looney makes it 3. A complete description of the looney's strange tendencies is beyond the scope of this post, but any form of aggression from the looney post-flop is rather unusual, and this is the first time I have ever seen him check- 3 bet. When he check-raises on the turn, he always has a monster. The one time I saw him check-raise the flop, he had top pr weak kicker. If he flopped trip dueces, it is like 80% that he'll check the turn, becuase he absolutely loves to double (and triple!--did it twice!) check-raise (if you think that's relevant info, but I don't know if the button knows that, because he's relatively new to the game).

So I feel pretty uncofortable with two cold back to me. The combined chance that the looney could have trips or that the button has a bigger pocket pair (and that my flush card isn't so hot) make me fold. Is this the right play?

I'll post the what they had in a separate post.

05-11-2002, 01:47 PM
The button called the 3-bet. The turn was 8h. The looney checked, button bet, looney check-raised (haha, I told you!), button called. River Kh. Looney checks (LOL), button checks. Looney turns over 42 (it was sooooted) to beat the button's44 (?!). Ah, the attemped triple check-raise....

05-11-2002, 03:35 PM
...has donated a lot of computers to every single insane asylum in the country. They all come with UB, Paradise, Planet, CCC, and Party pre-loaded.

Your post is proof of this fact.

It's a hard enough game without removing rhyme and reason.

But ya gotta love it, right? /images/biggrin.gif

05-11-2002, 05:43 PM
Trust the force Luke, err Daniel.

Go with your read. A lot of players need more than a pair to check/raise, and that's you read on this guy, so fold.

05-11-2002, 08:37 PM
Indeed gotta love it. I see that you play 20/40 in CT and AC. I've been playing now and again in that Mohegan 20 game, and I'm sure I'll make it down some weekend or two this summer to the Taj 20 game. We should say hi if we're ever there at the same time. I'm very young (21), so I tend to be pretty easy to spot.

05-11-2002, 09:22 PM
Daniel-

U play Wsex? U seem to know a lot for how young you r. who taught u? what books u read? Do u play shorthanded? Where u from? thanks

Sammy

05-11-2002, 10:26 PM
Do real money 30-60 online games exist?

It's tough enough sending $500 to any one of the

sites.

05-11-2002, 11:02 PM
Sammy,

Thank you for the compliment. No one really taught me. It's a tough game in that respect, since people tend to have a direct interest to not help others. With that said, I have participated in this forum regularly for about 4 yrs now, and I have learned a great deal from the posters on this site. As for books, I've read basically everything. I basically read everything before I ever sat down at a poker table, so my learning process hasn't been the normal one in that respect. As for shorthanded, I definitely do play shorthanded, but it's a part of my game that I wish I were better at. My best play is easily live full table, and I have more trouble online and shorthanded. However, I'm always looking to get better where I am weak, and shorthanded play is especially important to me, since I expect to in the future play high stakes, where shorthanded is common and where even full games share many characteristics with short games. I'm from Massachussetts, and I have no idea how to spell that, which is really somewhat embarrassing (nor how to spell embarassing). Ok, so spelling is another hole in my game, but it doesn't come up much. And yes to that first question. Thanks again for the compliment.

-Dan

05-12-2002, 12:38 AM
Guy was likely playing with a stolen credit card. Couldn't care less about the money. Dream (or nightmare) scenario -- the ultimate shill. Hey...wait a minute...where's my credit card. Ahhhh....

05-12-2002, 02:00 AM
...but I just want to watch /images/biggrin.gif

05-13-2002, 10:05 AM