PDA

View Full Version : Quantifying luck of AA

Shabbir
08-05-2004, 12:13 PM
Since the beginning of this month I've played 1,053 hands of $1/$2 on Party. I've saved all these hands in PokerTracker and have been dealt AA 12 times. Assuming my odds are 220:1 of getting Aces I should only have gotten AA 4.78 times.

I'd like to quantify my AA luck in a single number so I can compare it to other time periods as a baseline for profit.

Assuming I need to compute a standard deviation, my rudimentary stat skills (learned entirely by typing 'standard deviation' into Google) suggest that my AA dealing is experiencing a std. deviation of 5.85.

I computed this by subtracting 4.78 (avg AA rate for 1,053 hands) from 12 (actual number of times I received AA), squaring it to get 52.1284, dividing it by the number of hands-1 (1,052) to get 34.295. I then got a (rough) square root of that number to be 5.85.

The question is, did I compute this correctly? Is the standard deviation the right tool for this? Should I learn this is correct, I intend to apply this to suited cards, face cards, and pocket pairs to quantify "Hole Card Luck".

Of course, statistically I'm over my head. Did I do the standard deviation calculation correctly?

Shabbir
(Who's enjoying a tidy profit on those 12 AA hands..)